Trinidad & Tobago players celebrate at the end of the penalty shoot-out during the Papua New Guinea versus Trinidad & Tobago 5th-6th ranking match of the Singapore 2010 Youth Olympic Games (YOG) played at the Jalan Besar Stadium in Singapore, Aug 23, 2010. Trinidad & Tobago won 4-2 on penalty shoot-out. Photo: SPH-SYOGOC/Seyu Tzyy WeiA one-hour downpour just prior to kick-off meant that this game was postponed for 55 minutes, but it breathed a fresh, cool air into the Jalan Besar Stadium as the match got off to a lively start.

Trinidad and Tobago had more of the ball in the early stages with Marlique Asson and Jonelle Warrick constantly threatening the opponents’ goal.

Asson saw a cross-cum-shot hit the far post before Warrick raced clear and lobbed the ball narrowly over the bar.

Papua New Guinea spurned a golden chance to take the lead when Georgina Kaikas’s spot-kick was saved by Lebrisca Phillip. However, the Caribbean side continued to press but failed to convert their dominance into real chances.

The two sides pushed forward harder after the interval but a lack of accuracy remained the key problem.

In the ensuing penalty shootout, Rumona Morris and Biangka Gubag failed to convert from the spot, while Trinidad and Tobago players made no mistake from their four attempts.

T&T U-15s get first win at youth Olympics.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad & Tobago has clinched fifth place in the girls' football tournament of the 2010 Youth Olympic Games, defeating Papua New Guinea 4-2 in a penalty shootout at Jalan Besar Stadium on Monday

Lightening and thunder delayed kick off by 55 minutes on a night that produced the tournament's first goalless game and first penalty shoot out.

In an even match, Papua New Guinea – without a goal at the Youth Olympic Games – missed the best chance of the game when Georgina Kaikas saw her penalty saved by Lebrisca Phillip on 29 minutes.

Trinidad & Tobago were given a golden opportunity to take the lead when Marlique Asson's whipped cross flashed beyond goalkeeper Catherine Ramoi only to hit the base of the far post before it was cleared.

Goalkeeper Catherine Ramoi gave a powerful display for Papua New Guinea and produced quality saves from Jonelle Warrick and Adeka Spencer.

Outstanding for T&T were Anique Walker and Jonelle Warrick, two members of the T&T Under 17 Women's World Cup that will play at the upcoming FIFA Under 17 Women's World Cup.

But the match finished 0-0 and in the shoot out Papua New Guinea saw Kaikas second penalty of the match saved by Phillip, while captain Rumona Morris skied her penalty high over the crossbar.

T&T held their nerve with captain Corinna Sequea scoring the decisive penalty.

Head coach Marlon Morris was happy with the result, saying : "This was a deserving win for the girls who played their hearts out at this tournament and I am really happy for them.

The experience we have gained here is priceless and I am sure it will serve the development of our future Women teams in the higher age groups well."

T&T lost their opener to Chile 1-0 and then fell to Equatorial Guinea 3-1.