Sidebar

11
Sun, Apr
22 New Articles

Typography
The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) claim their former employee, David Nakhid, is now a scout for the Bahrain national team.


Nakhid himself has denied such media claims, but the T&TFF's special advisor insists the country has been betrayed.

"For 30 pieces of silver, T&T has been sold out!" Jack Warner was quoted as saying in a T&TFF media release yesterday as the fall-out continued following news of Nakhid's association with Bahrain.

On Saturday, it was reported in the Gulf Daily newspaper in Bahrain that Nakhid, the 41-year-old former T&T captain and recently-dismissed scout, was in Bahrain and linked to that country's national team who will face T&T in a two-legged, home-and-away World Cup qualifying play-off on November 12 and 16.

On Sunday, Nakhid told the Express in an interview from Bahrain that he had already accepted an offer to coach Bahrain's national under-20 squad and oversee their youth programme.

Nakhid also claimed he had insisted he would not, however, have anything to do with the Bahrain senior team until the completion of their qualifying schedule.

But yesterday, Warner appeared not to be impressed by that explanation, saying in a radio interview on I95FM that he was "very disappointed" by the turn of events.

"We have discovered that there have been plans for this some weeks ago, of which we were unaware. More and more, I am getting some information that has left me very disappointed indeed," said Warner.

And the T&TFF release later yesterday also sought to link Nakhid with the procurement of videos of the T&T Warriors' recent matches.

The release also claimed that Nakhid had been appointed as scout advisor to Bahrain's national World Cup team.

The release further stated: "The president of the General Organisation for Youth and Sports (Goys), Shaikh Fawaz bin Mohammed Al Khalifa, told Bahrain Tribune that he has made a lucrative offer to Nakhid which he could not refuse."

However, current T&TFF technical director Lincoln "Tiger" Phillips yesterday warned against the sensationalising of the issue.

"It's unfortunate that Bahrain has chosen to, I think, use this as a way of gaining a psychological advantage on us," Phillips told the Express.

Admitting that he was "initially" disappointed with Nakhid's decision, the technical director added: "They are using him... they are very good at the business. While it is his right to seek employment anywhere he sees fit, we have to recognise the decision to use him is psychological, absolutely.

"We have to manage the situation properly, recognise it for what it is. We have to reciprocate in kind-ignore it!" stated Phillips

Clayton Morris, captain of the 1989 "Strike Squad" national team, also felt that the Nakhid case was about mind games. "In 1989, we had a similar situation. It was not as open as how Bahrain are doing it. They are trying all sorts of things to put us off. It is up to the players on the day to perform. It is important that they keep their focus... The less they know about Bahrain and the psychological warfare they are trying to wage, the better for them."

Asked if he was surprised by Nakhid's career decision, Morris said: "I wouldn't say surprised. But he played most his life out in Lebanon. He is given the opportunity now to share his experience and ply his trade."

Questioned if he would have made such a decision, Morris replied: "With me, given the situation, my country would be first. I would always put my country first.

"It is here I was born and bred and I have to face these people every day. But in his position, he doesn't have to get up on a morning and face Trinidad and Tobago."