Sun, Jul

La Horquetta Rangers' winger Raihim Thomas, left, skips past the challenge from Real West Fort defender Haile Farrell during the Ascension Tournament at the Phase II recreation ground on Friday in La Horquetta. Rangers won 5-2.

Two goals from Tyrone Charles ensured that Terminix La Horquetta Rangers maintained their unbeaten run and their top position in the Ascension Football League against Real West Fort United 5-2 in the feature match of a double-header at the Phase II Recreation Ground in La Horquetta on Friday night.

Coach Dave Quamina’s men held a one-point lead on both Cunupia FC and Police FC entering the contest as both were scheduled to be involved in action on Saturday, but it didn’t take long before their fears were allayed, as Kahim Thomas was picked out with a pin-point Real Gill’s right-side centre inside the goal area, and following a deaf first-touch, Thomas’ second touch of the ball sent the crowd to its feet, as he lashed it hard and low past the goalkeeper in the 13th minute.

Charles didn’t take too long to get into the action, benefiting from an earlier Maurice Dick effort which crashed against the crossbar from a left-side centre, before Charles was on spot to receive the rebound and skilfully elude a challenge from a defender before firing the ball into the back of the net for a 2-0 Rangers advantage.

Later, Charles turned provider when he lifted a pass to Jomoul Francois three minutes before the half-time interval. Facing confrontation from the onrushing goalkeeper, Francois skilfully lifted the ball into the empty net for a  3-0 scoreline.

he game seemed to be heading to the break with the scores unchanged before West Fort got a consolation item. Sean De Silva, returning to the West Fort fold for the encounter, whipped a cross to Keron Cummings who beat the goalkeeper with a one-time shot in the 43rd minute.

Coach Ron La Forest sought to make some adjustments in his defensive structure at the interval but it didn’t prevent Rangers from going another goal up in the 46th minute.

Charles fed a long ball inside the West Fort area, took it down nicely before he curled the ball into the top far right post for a 4-1 lead.

Both teams continued to trade attacks in the moments that followed, but it was Rangers who received their fifth goal courtesy of an own goal by Osei Charles in the 79th minute.

A minute later, West Fort got their second item of the game from the penalty spot. Defender Ross Russell Jr got the slightest of touches on Cordell Samuel inside the penalty area as he made his way to goal in the 80th minute. Cummings calmly sent the goalie the wrong way in the 81st minute for a final 5-2 scoreline.

In the first game, Deportivo PF thrashed Central Soccer World 3-0. The Point Fortin men got goals from Shackiel Henry in the 21st, Mark Ramdeen 29th and Hughton Hector in the 88th minute. 


2*CUNUPIA FC*5*4*0*1*14*5*9*12
3*POLICE FC*5*4*0*1*14*5*9*12
4*DEFENCE FORCE FC*5*3*2*0*10*3*7*11
5*DEPORTIVO PF*6*2*2*2*8*7*1*8
6*REAL WEST FORT UNITED*6*2*1*3*7*15*-8*7
7*CENTRAL SOCCER WORLD*6*1*1*4*5*12*-7*4
8*AC PORT OF SPAIN*5*0*3*2*7*11*-4*3
9*CENTRAL FC*5*0*2*3*4*12*-8*2
10*MORUGA FC*5*0*0*5*2*18*-16*0

Today’s match

Police FC vs AC Port of Spain, St James Barracks, 5 pm


Defence Force second in Ascension after Moore brace
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsady).

A BRACE from Soca Warriors striker Reon Moore gave Defence Force FC a crushing 5-0 win over Cunupia FC when the Ascension Football League tournament continued, on Saturday.

With the win, Defence Force moved from fourth place to second place (14 points) in the standings.

Moore scored in the 11th minute to give Defence Force an early lead in the match played at Arima Velodrome.

Jameel Boatswain found the back of the net in the 19th minute and Brent Sam gave Defence Force a comfortable 3-0 lead at half-time with a 31st minute item.

Moore was on target again in the 65th minute and Dylon King rounded off the scoring in stoppage time.

Cunupia dropped from second to fourth place (12 points) after the defeat.

In the first match at the venue, Central FC snatched their first win of the season with a 5-2 win over the winless Moruga FC.

Keasean St Rose netted a hat-trick (20th, 51st, 77th) to guide Central FC to the commanding win.

Romario Burke (65th) and Renaldo Francois (85th) also scored for Central FC on the night.

Keruille Jerimiah got on the score sheet for Moruga FC in the 39th and 54th minutes to make it 2-2 at one stage, before Central FC controlled the final 25 minutes of the match.

Central are now seventh in the ten-team standings with five points and Moruga FC are last with zero points.

On Friday at the La Horquetta Recreation Grounds, Deportivo FC defeated eighth placed Central Soccer World 3-0. Shackiel Henry (21st), Mark Ramdeen (29th) and Hughton Hector (88th) were on target for fifth placed Deportivo.

In the second match at La Horquetta, home team Terminix La Horquetta Rangers maintained their position at the top of the standings (16 points) with a 5-2 victory over Real West Fort Utd.

Tyrone Charles’s (21st, 46th) brace propelled Rangers to the win. Kahim Thomas (14th), Jomoul Francois (42nd) and Osei Charles (78th) added an own goal.

Former national player Keron Cummings scored in the 43rd minute for sixth placed Real West Fort Utd and another from the penalty spot in the 81st minute.