Sun, Sep

WREXHAM defender Dennis Lawrence snatched a late equaliser to earn his side a point last night against a Peterborough United team that looked to be cruising to a well-deserved victory.

And but for a catalogue of spurned chances in the dying minutes of the League One clash at the Racecourse, the Red Dragons might have claimed an unlikely win.

Before kick-off Denis Smith was forced to call on youngster Simon Spender to deputise for the injured Brian Carey and Matt Crowell to stand in for Danny Williams, who was also carrying a knock.

Spender was given the nod ahead of fellow Wales Under-21 international Craig Morgan while Crowell made his first appearance from the off since the Dragons' 2-1 victory over Barnsley on August 30.

Early on United's Calum Willock blasted an effort over the bar while for the Dragons Chris Llewellyn was flagged off-side just as he looked set to open the scoring.

But it was the away side who came closest to breaking the deadlock after 11 minutes when midfielder Andre Boucard had a goalbound 25-yard drive tipped behind by Red Dragons stopper Matt Baker.

Next Wrexham defender Andy Holt was inches away from connecting with a Darren Ferugson free-kick before Dragons' striker Chris Llewellyn squared a dangerous ball across the box, but failed to find a team-mate.

Boucard saw another effort narrowly diverted over by Baker before the Wrexham stopper was called upon again to palm away a Willock header after the striker met Peter Kennedy's cross.

Just before the half-hour mark Llewellyn deftly lifted the ball over the head of his marker before firing a cross-cum-shot across the face of goal that Trinidadian Hector Sam could only blast over.

Later Holt raced down the left and unleashed a cross that fizzed across the six-yard box, only for Llewellyn to be edged out of the race to connect with the pass by United's Craig Ireland.

Just after the break Spender found Shaun Pejic deep inside United's box, but unaccustomed to finding himself so far forward, the Dragons' defender miscued his effort.

Next a long throw from Peterborough's Andy Legg was met by fellow defender Clive Platt, but despite being unmarked the United man sent his header narrowly wide of Baker's left-hand post.

Minutes later Llewellyn found Holt with a clever pass that unlocked the visitors' rearguard, but the Dragons' were unable to capitalise on the defender's dangerous ball across the box.

Next Willock did what he had been threatening to do all night, connecting with Legg's corner to open the scoring on 69 minutes with a volley at the far post.

Wrexham threatened to hit back immediately as substitute Chris Armstrong connected cleanly with Holt's cross, but his header drifted over United goalkeeper Mark Tyler's crossbar.

But Lawrence was to have the last word, slotting home after an almighty goalmouth scramble on 87 minutes.

Later substitute Mark Jones and Llewellyn might have won it for the Dragons as might Willock for United, but all narrowly failed to convert their opportunities.