WREXHAM coasted past Stockport County last night to seal their place in the last 16 of the LDV Vans Trophy with a comfortable two-goal victory over the League One side.

Defender Dennis Lawrence opened the scoring for the Red Dragons before team-mate Danny Williams made certain of the victory with a second-half header.

The only change from the side that earned a point in Saturday's League One contest with promotion-chasing Hull City was the inclusion of striker Hector Sam.

The Trinidadian was brought in for former Spurs man Chris Armstrong, who has only recently recovered from a troublesome achilles injury and was rested by Smith.

Just before the 20-minute mark Dragons' midfielder Williams was fouled just outside the visitors' box and from the resulting free-kick Darren Ferguson watched an effort bounce back off the post.

Wrexham began upping the tempo and striker Chris Llewellyn almost saw a looping header creep under the bar before Ferguson fired over from a Sam lay-off.

The Dragons got the goal their pressure deserved on 18 minutes when a Steve Roberts header from a corner bounced off the bar and straight to Lawrence, who was left with an unmissable tap in.

Next Sam twice went close to making it two, first with a shot beaten out of the area after tricking his way past his marker on the byline and secondly with a drive blasted wide from a Simon Spender knock-down.

County's only real effort of the half came on 36-minutes when Stuart Barlow saw a left-footed drive rebound back into play off the underside of the bar after team-mate Adam Le Fondre clatterd into Roberts.

In the closing stages of the first-half Williams saw a glancing header drift narrowly wide from Andy Holt's cross and Sam collided with goalkeeper Neil Cutler after being put clean through by Llewellyn.

After the break Llewellyn saw the ball snatched away from him after dawdling over Spender's lay-off seconds before Le Fondre saw his side-footed effort trickle wide of goalkeeper Matt Baker's left-hand post.

Just before the 70-minute mark Baker saved low at the feet of County's Lee Mair and from the corner that followed Stockport team-mate Lee Cartwright sent an effort sailing over the bar.

Wrexham trialist Juan Ugarte proved a handful for the visitors defence after being brought on for Sam and it was his shot from a Ferguson through ball that led to the Dragons' second.

The Spaniard's effort was diverted for a corner, which Ferguson placed perfectly on the head of the unmarked Williams on 82 minutes to seal the tie.

Wrexham: Baker, Roberts, Lawrence, Williams, Ferguson, Llewellyn (Jones 85), Crowell (Smith 69), Pejic, Holt, Spender, Sam (Ugarte 73). Subs not used: Mackin, Evans