June 25, 2024, 07:02:19 PM

Author Topic: Villarreal omits Riquelme again  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Villarreal omits Riquelme again
« on: January 09, 2007, 09:04:19 AM »
Jai, what's this about???

Villarreal omits Riquelme again

Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago         

MADRID, Spain (AP) - Villarreal has left out Juan Roman Riquelme for the second straight game amid reports of continuing differences between the Argentine playmaker and coach Manuel Pellegrini.

Riquelme's omission from the squad for Wednesday's Copa del Rey fifth-round, first-leg match at Valladolid followed his absence from Sunday's 1-0 league defeat against Valencia.

Pellegrini denied Tuesday that his relationship with Riquelme has influenced his decision.

"This affair isn't a personal problem, it's a sporting problem. I have to evaluate a series of parameters in the players and then take decisions. I never pick as a result of personal relations," Pellegrini was quoted as saying Tuesday by the Web site of sports daily Marca.

Villarreal's Argentine left-back Rodolfo Arruabarrena called for Riquelme and Pellegrini to patch up their disagreement, especially as the team has lost its last three matches.

"Pride should be left to one side and the club should be considered. In June they'll have the chance to sort out their personal situation," Arruabarrena said.

However, the club's Argentine-born Mexico striker Guillermo Franco expressed support for Pellegrini, whose contract expires at the end of the season.

"Roman gets defended a lot but there are things in the background that people don't know about. Roman is important but he's not essential," Franco said.

Riquelme has struggled to recapture his scintillating form of last season, when he helped Villarreal reach the Champions League semifinals.

In September, the 28-year-old midfielder announced his international retirement, citing his mother's health and criticism of his World Cup performance with Argentina. Riquelme was one of the most criticized players in the squad which lost in the quarterfinals to host Germany in June.

Since he joined in 2003, Riquelme's languid but precise play has been key to Villarreal's rise in European soccer, helping the team reach the UEFA Cup semifinals in his first season.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Villarreal omits Riquelme again
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:06:33 AM »
This could mean only one thing: they are trying to move him for a big fee during the current transfer window. 

Watch this space...

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 10:42:25 AM »
Pellegrini better cool heself...Villarreal eh going far without Juan Roman  :beermug: :beermug:
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 11:26:40 AM »
Seems like there is a problem between Pellegrini and Riquelme. he was mysteriously dropped from the last few games with Matias now supposedley being his replacement in midfield. Now there is also the question of the hereafter with the transfer window now open. Riquelme is still 25% property of Barcelona, Pellegrini is being scouted and maybe Riquelme is as well. The obvious result of the indifference is that Villareal is sailing away from the last EUFA qualifying spot.
The team is losing games they could count as won when on form. The situation must be addressed soon as it is affecting the players just at the time when the injured are to return. We have not yet seen Pires, gonzalo and only for a brief moment did we see Nihat.
Riquelme is not the best seller by press standards, often choosing to remain " callado " so news are not as forthcoming as with other players.
I think we will see many changes before the end of the month ...who knows what these will be ?

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 01:30:48 PM »
Well there is always a sopt at Old Trafford for Roman

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 01:53:07 PM »
after old trafford done making moves for hargreaves..i doubt it...

'I tink maybe ZARAGOZA with all the other argentines (milito-diego and gabriel..dalessandro..aimar..and thy on the up ) would be a good place for roman

people at villareal are forgetting he was part of the reason they were in a champions league final..and blaming the poor start to teh season on him

like they forget its forlan and nihat who start teh brawl that left them down to 9 men in a champions league qualifier they shoulda won against a no name side

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 02:05:51 PM »
MADRID, Spain (AP) - Villarreal presented Chile midfielder Matias Fernandez to 3,500 fans Thursday. The 20-year-old officially joins the first division side on Monday.

"I didn't expect this welcome. It's very nice that all these people have come to greet me; that's one more reason to play well in my new team," Fernandez said at the club's El Madrigal stadium in eastern Spain.

"I am aware that the Spanish league is very difficult and, although I have seen many matches on TV, it's not the same as playing," Fernandez said.

Villarreal president Fernando Roig said Fernandez would improve the club, which is 11th in the 20-team division with 22 points from 16 games.

"We are very happy that he has come because he is good player who can make a difference," Roig said.

ah saw the game they played at home sunday they lost 1 nil but the youth can easily replace riqulme( no disrespect 2 the riquelme fans) he is faster which can make a big difference. the scary thhing is he can only get better

seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 04:26:49 PM »
MADRID, Spain (AP) - Villarreal presented Chile midfielder Matias Fernandez to 3,500 fans Thursday. The 20-year-old officially joins the first division side on Monday.

"I didn't expect this welcome. It's very nice that all these people have come to greet me; that's one more reason to play well in my new team," Fernandez said at the club's El Madrigal stadium in eastern Spain.

"I am aware that the Spanish league is very difficult and, although I have seen many matches on TV, it's not the same as playing," Fernandez said.

Villarreal president Fernando Roig said Fernandez would improve the club, which is 11th in the 20-team division with 22 points from 16 games.

"We are very happy that he has come because he is good player who can make a difference," Roig said.

ah saw the game they played at home sunday they lost 1 nil but the youth can easily replace riqulme( no disrespect 2 the riquelme fans) he is faster which can make a big difference. the scary thhing is he can only get better

you really thinbk the youth could replace Riquelme ? You might want to evaluate whether he can control the speed of a game, change the rythm, create many chances for the goats ahead, take and score free kicks, organise the team and be a team player where the team comes first...that´s a tall order for a youth ...
many players are faster than Riquelme...in fact i wonder how many top grade players are slower ... but according to LEDLEY kING who was given the assignment to mark him when England met Argentina ¨they say he is slow but I could not get near him ¨slippery is more like it ...
i would hope that they can both play for Villareal but Mati is still learning the trade ... he still has to do what Riquelme has already done and can still do in the most exciting league in the world.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 04:51:47 PM »
Jai_John whenever you write about Riquelme is like you writin a love letter.

Riquelme is good but a little hustle now and then would help a lot.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 07:26:59 PM »

Yeah boy,that f**ker lazy for days............

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 08:12:05 PM »

Yeah boy,that f**ker lazy for days............

De man have a lazy style, but I not sure if he lazy at all. Read waht Jai posted about Ledley King, one of the fastest and fittest defenders in the EPL....yuh cyah be lazy and dominate England. You doh have to that talented, but them England boys does make sure you put in a shift. Riquelme good..but he eh that good. Saddes' still hadda work hard to get where he get....but he does have a loping kinda lazy man style and he could get shut out a game and look like a spectator. But everyone will see it different  :beermug:

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 11:41:42 AM »
it hav ah tnt midfielder who does move jus like dat.. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

who no him?? :devil: :devil:

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 05:13:50 PM »
Well another defeat without Roman .... the situation is really bad ...4 straight defeats without ace playmaker Roman Riquelme and to Valladolid !
forth in Europe last year ..now cant even get past average spanish teams .... someone asked about the contribution of riquelme to this team ...well the results or lack of them are there for all to see ...
many teams are going through rough patches right now but few are because of off field activities

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 06:04:13 PM »
Last yr was a fluke that's all, doh beat up yuhself  ;D

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 06:12:37 PM »

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 06:14:04 PM »
Last yr was a fluke that's all, doh beat up yuhself  ;D

You obviously did not see the games they played to get there .....

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 02:30:36 PM »
News out of argentina is that boca hoping to go for him and trezeguet...sadly though trezeguet wont go anytime soon..and riquelme would never go back as he values his family too much and remebers all too well when some1 was kidnapped.

1]; } ?>