June 23, 2024, 01:48:32 PM

Author Topic: Harper rejects Ghana offer  (Read 4323 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Harper rejects Ghana offer
« on: April 28, 2006, 05:56:28 AM »
Harper rejects World Cup chance
BBC Sport

Reading midfielder James Harper has turned down the opportunity to play for Ghana at the World Cup finals in Germany this summer.

Harper, who last month signed a new two-year deal at the club, qualifies to play for the African country because his mother was born there.

The 25-year-old told the Evening Post: "I've never even been to Ghana.

"I don't know the colour of their flag and it's not my country. I wouldn't feel right putting on the shirt."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Harper rejects Ghana offer
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 06:09:50 AM »
See, this is what I fnd strange about these people. How is it that your parent is from Ghana, yet you know nothing about the country?

For instance, my son born in the USA, and every Sunday the little man eat a good dose of rice and peas....

And him get him regular dose of curry-run-dung and beef patties too.   and oh yes, he has already made one trip to the rock.

Them Africans shame to be form africa or what?

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 07:01:58 AM »
nah man. some people eh bring their children up to have allegiance to the land of the parents birth.

suppose your mother or father come from ukraine but that is all you know bout the palce. then they call you to play. would you feel right representing them? - a country you never visit and know nothing about?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 07:15:04 AM »
That level of closed mindedness is just sad

I hope the quote was taken out of context and wont come back to haunt him
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 07:46:23 AM »
nah man. some people eh bring their children up to have allegiance to the land of the parents birth.

suppose your mother or father come from ukraine but that is all you know bout the palce. then they call you to play. would you feel right representing them? - a country you never visit and know nothing about?

Well birchall did the same but unlike harper his mother always used to talk about trinidad and tobago
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 07:59:13 AM »
There are many Trinis who migrate to the US or ENG who never visited home again.  They adopted another country, became citizens, their spouse from another country, and their children born in another country.  The children grow up not even knowing the geography of the grandparent's bithplace.  So allyuh really fel that them children should all of a sudden decide to represent what to them is a foreign land?  If they like Birchall and decide to represent, then fine.  But you can't hold it against them if they don't feel like they should.  Why can't we just respect Harper's decision ajnd leave the man alone?   Steeuuuups!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 08:01:52 AM »
His mom didn't even show him the flag yes.  And he never had any curiosity about his mother's country either.  Kind of strange.  I back his decision though.

RF what is curry-run-dung?

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 08:33:29 AM »
birchall

glad he on our side as he adds value to the warriors. but he is clearly an opportunist. he knew he would never play for england. t &t provides him with international footie experience and exposure to scouts from the EPL, SPL and championship. he caribbean excursion may eventually land him a spot in one of those leagues.

all in all, it is a symbiotic relationship for both parties involved.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 09:21:20 AM »
the man just being honest and saying that he doesn't hold allegiance to the country and not willing to be a football mercenary. maybe he should use this as an opportunity to explore his roots and who knows, we might see him in the colours in 2010.

but what happen to him is not rare, this happen all the time. i have a trini coworker, she move up here marry a Jamaican fella and she never really expose her daughters to much Trini or JA culture. they maybe visit the islands once when they were young, but now they big, she disappointed that they have no interest in the culture. she take them T&T and she vex they complain, she buy them roti and upset when they complain. if she never show an interest in her own thing when they was young, she really expect them to gung-ho about it now that they big. all she do is complain about how Americanized her kids are, and i say it's her fault.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 09:47:33 AM »
He is being true to himself. He feels that he's an Englishman and can only related with an English identy.I still have to agree with RF somewhat. It is unforgiveable that he doesn't know anything about his ancestral home. It goes beyond football.

My father's parents came from Grenada and my mother's father came from Venezuela. I've made it my responsibitly to learn about these two countries although I am proud to be Trinidadian.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 10:15:27 AM »
I understand what he saying and agree with him. I not blaming him, ah blaming his parents.
my son is 4 yrs old and born in the us, but he damn well know the T&T flag and other things. Yes he has visited T&T on a few occasions, but if he we were not able to do this, we would still teach him about the country of his parents, grandparents and his brother alike. Even though he is 4 he learning, this morning he ask me to play Trini 2 de bone for him in de car, he ask if I will take him to see the Berlin wall when we go Germany. . I explained to him before that the wall prevented people from seeing their families for many years. He was a little disappointed that the wall is no longer there, but education is the key...You have to educate the youths. If my kids never go back to T&T, I hope that they will educate their children on the land of their grandparents.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 10:41:37 AM »
I understand what he saying and agree with him. I not blaming him, ah blaming his parents.
my son is 4 yrs old and born in the us, but he damn well know the T&T flag and other things. Yes he has visited T&T on a few occasions, but if he we were not able to do this, we would still teach him about the country of his parents, grandparents and his brother alike. Even though he is 4 he learning, this morning he ask me to play Trini 2 de bone for him in de car, he ask if I will take him to see the Berlin wall when we go Germany. . I explained to him before that the wall prevented people from seeing their families for many years. He was a little disappointed that the wall is no longer there, but education is the key...You have to educate the youths. If my kids never go back to T&T, I hope that they will educate their children on the land of their grandparents.
before you blame PARENTS(im not just picking on you samo) blame A Parent he is mixed raced his other side his english and also the area where you grow up shapes you hes from Chelmsford,Essex far from the hot bed of the black community/communites. Its true that your parents should teach you but its also up to the person himself hes a big ass man but I do find it shocking that he doesnt know the colours of the Ghanaian flag, thats madness. I also believe that his mother is mixed race as well and his mother was only born in ghana then brought here which might account from him not knowing about the county, not saying that mixed race people dont wanna know their history but alot of mixed people of my generation dont learn the history/culture of their heritage due to the fact they are in their true homes, even some young black people dont give jack.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 10:48:23 AM »

Far from that in london is probably one of the biggest Ghanaian communites outside ghana, their presence is out and open like WI's. I feel they rep more than Nigerians.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 11:05:55 AM »

Far from that in london is probably one of the biggest Ghanaian communites outside ghana, their presence is out and open like WI's. I feel they rep more than Nigerians.

that is true. some africans from is actually look down people from the caribbean. they is use the word "slave" in their language to refer to people from the islands.

anyhow this harper fella look like a solid player. we will see what he do in the prem.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/reading/4951914.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/reading/club_stats/default.stm
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 11:08:26 AM by Andre »

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 11:10:31 AM »

that is true. some africans from is actually look down people from the caribbean. they is use the word "slave" in their language to refer to people from the islands.
what was the point of that post? :-\ I dont think there was any as its not in relation to the topic.
only words you got right about that post is some africans. most africans I know are cool.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 11:35:17 AM »
His mom didn't even show him the flag yes.  And he never had any curiosity about his mother's country either.  Kind of strange.  I back his decision though.

RF what is curry-run-dung?

Curry-run-dung is also known as oil down in teh other islands. Coconut milk cooked with currey and salted fish.

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 12:00:18 PM »
I don't have any kids yet but when they are born they are going to T&T very year. They will have T&T in their blood and I want to teach them that where ever they go in life they could call Barataria home.  I wasn't born in T&T but I was raised there and I feel more Trini than anything else.

I was fortunate that my parents decided to move back to T&T after studying and working in Canada. T&T shaped my life for the better.

Marc
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 01:15:34 PM »
Parents have to take some responsibility yes.

However, I admire this footballer's honesty.

He will prob. never play in a WC and he turned down a World Class team in the world's biggest dance.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 02:02:44 PM »
RF, so curry-run-dong is curried saltfish in coconut milk? Oil down in T&T is breadfruit cooked in coconut milk with some meat usually pig tail but I've had some with saltfish and another batch with chicken.

As far as I see, Harper is being true to himself and shouldn't be faulted for that. As for Birchie, I don't class him as an opportunist as I'm sure that the exposure soken about would have been minimal and possibly negative if we had not taken that dizzying turn shepherded by Beenie. Remember when he came in we were basically knocked down and waiting for the ref to reach 10. He has even said that he took stick from his teammates for quite a while. I would really like to know what really made him decide to play for T&T.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2006, 02:09:57 PM »
birchall

glad he on our side as he adds value to the warriors. but he is clearly an opportunist. he knew he would never play for england.

Birchall is not an opportunist. When he made his debut for us last year May, he was what, 20? At that age  yuh don't know where your career will take you....EPL snatching up young standouts from Championship and League One all the time. And Birchall does have a standout talent and maturity of play in League One. This could have led to Premeirship attention and who knows, an England call-up.

Yuh could call Birchall an opportunist if he had jumped on de wagon after qualification. But remember Tallest ask him to join during the uncertain qualifying stages and he agreed, not even dreaming about going to World Cup. I glad for him. 

Johpants I was wondering the same thing, but still happy he made that choice and give we 2 GOLASO's to help us qualify.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 02:11:41 PM by Grande man »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2006, 03:59:35 PM »
Harper's mother is to blame. she has abdicated her responsibility.
 Not going to Ghana is one thing not knowing the Flag is an insult to Ghana.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 05:06:03 PM »
reggaefan....check tuh see if he could play fuh jamaica....yuh never know
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2006, 08:14:22 PM »
allyah good yes. the man mother was BORN there...she coulda leave when she was 2 years old. She might not know anything about Ghana either. Nobody know the facts but we carrying on a debate. RF, you still have an affinity for JA, so your son will go there and learn about JA. Good..but you smart enough to know that not every immigrant's story is the same as yours. What if your family was persecuted in JA and treated like persona-non-grata because of religion or political affiliation....suppose many of them were slaughtered by the military, police or simply disappeared, never to be seen again. And because of this, you fled when you were an infant with yor family....you may not be so in love with the nation of your birth. This sort of tragedy happens to a lot of immigrants from all over the world..so doh judge unless you know this man's family history. All I know is it have poor youth on Ghana team who need this WC, who will die to wear that shirt,  and at least Harper eh no band wagon man looking to tief one of them youth's dreams

Offline baratariaboy

• New Warrior
  • Not knowing why we came, now, we'll forever know!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2006, 09:37:42 PM »
I don't have any kids yet but when they are born they are going to T&T very year. They will have T&T in their blood and I want to teach them that where ever they go in life they could call Barataria home.  I wasn't born in T&T but I was raised there and I feel more Trini than anything else.

I was fortunate that my parents decided to move back to T&T after studying and working in Canada. T&T shaped my life for the better.

Marc

Yes man, you can take the boy out of Barataria, but, you cannot take Barataria out of the boy. Big up to Baratarians worldwide. Do you remember the Ebonites football team of years past?
An amateur built the Ark and professionals the Titanic.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2006, 04:17:54 AM »
Yuh see this topic nobody will never come to an agreement on his reasons for choosing not to represent Ghana,but let me at least break it down in my own words like this,I love and cherish where I came from dispite all that's happening in trini today I will never part with it.

To try and understand why people adopt another country while ignoring where they were born and refusing to share the history and culture with there children is as complex as life itself,and to somehow blame harper for this is unfortunate.

We sometimes as trinis tend to judge people by our own standards which in part is selfish,but at the same time shows how proud and dedicated most of us are,not to ramble on we are some of the luckiest people on the planet to have come from such a country like T&T and at the end of the day with respect to harper and his parents it's all about love of country and culture and if you don't have any you can't impart what you don't possess.       

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2006, 05:16:16 PM »
Well people i have to say my three kids  born here in the U.S. and they all have the Trini ting in them...like eating all kind of Trini dish and with  soca music and carnival they know all about it....one been there (Trinidad ) the other two haven't but want to go...they all from Rhode Island....

1]; } ?>