June 26, 2024, 12:20:34 AM

Author Topic: Leo Beenhakker promises more chances versus Bermuda.  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Leo Beenhakker promises more chances versus Bermuda.
« on: May 24, 2005, 02:51:51 PM »
Beenhakker promises more chances versus Bermuda.
By: Shaun Fuentes.

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Leo Beenhakker is promising to give his players more time on the pitch in order to make a proper assessment of their progress when this country’s senior footballers take on the Bermuda National Senior team in a friendly encounter at the Hasely Crawford Stadium from 6:30pm on Wednesday.
The game is Beenhakker’s first against international opposition and he will have twenty two players to choose from as he fine tunes to the team for the all-important 2006 World Cup qualifier against Panama on June 4.
Coming in on Tuesday evening were Glasgow Rangers defender Marvin Andrews along with Brent Sancho and Kelvin Jack while New England Revolution defender Avery John was deemed unavailable for the warm-up. Beenhakker said he would decide on matchday whether Andrews and Sancho would play any part in Wednesday’s match following their long journey back home.
Beenhakker conducted two training sessions on Tuesday, one in the morning at the Ato Boldon Stadium and in the evening at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
“This is of course another training exercise for the team before the match against Panama and we will use it as a chance to see more of the players before we select the final team on the weekend,” Beenhakker told TTFF Media on Tuesday. “It presents with a chance to see how much progress has been made over the past week or so and I have also promised the players too that there won’t be too many changes during the game so it means that they will have more to show what they have to offer. It’s a chance to give everyone an opportunity to play so those who don’t take the field in the first game will get a chance on the weekend when we play Bermuda in a second game,” the former Dutch national team coach added.
“I am not being over confident but I do expect us to give a good showing because the guys know how important it is for us to get things right from these sort of matches before the big ones come up.”
Coventry City striker Stern John will make his first start under Beenhakker while Kenwyne Jones, Leslie Fitzpatrick, Brent Rahim, Carlos Edwards, Hector Sam, Dennis Lawrence, Ian Cox and Chris Birchall are all expected to take some part in Wednesday’s encounter which skipper Dwight Yorke will miss as he is still in England taking care of personal business before returning for the final live-in training camp ahead of the Panama match.
Kyle Lightbourne, coach of the Bermudan team which arrived on Tuesday, said is team which comprises several talented Under 23 players were anticipating the match and were prepared to give the “Warriors” a good test having drawn 2-2 with them last  February which was followed by an exciting 2-2 draw with El Salvador and 3-3 draw with St Vincent and the Grenadines.
While Beenhakker is working on getting his final squad together, Panama head coach Jose Hernandez summoned five new players for his team’s friendly with Venezuela on Wednesday in Caracas. They include Oscar McFarlane, Luis Henriquez, Jose Justavino, Leonel Parrish and Cecilio Garces.
David Nakhid out Panama game.
By: Ian Prescott.
[/color]

David Nakhid is out of today's friendly international against the Bermuda national team and will also most likely miss Trinidad and Tobago's upcoming CONCACAF World Cup qualifying game versus Panama because of an injury picked up last Wednesday in a friendly against Peruvian club champions Alianza Lima.
The T&T Warriors play their final warm-up match against the Bermudans from 6.30 p.m. today at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, before hosting Panama in an important World Cup qualifier on June 4.
And yesterday, several football sources informed the Express that Nakhid had quit the team as a player and may be given a different role by national coach Leo Beenhakker.
Amidst those reports, Nakhid watched yesterday's training session from the sidelines. Normally quite vocal, an unusually cagey Nakhid would only say that he was injured and coach Beenhakker would be holding a meeting soon to decide what was best for the team.
Nakhid further said he was very impressed by the progress of the team and the training method of the Dutchman was an "eye opener".
Beenhakker conducted two training sessions yesterday, one in the morning at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva, and another yesterday evening at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
Having his first outing under Beenhakker was Coventry City striker Stern John. Speaking to the media after the afternoon session in Port of Spain, John said he was late in returning to the team because he needed ten days to recover from injuries after a long English season.
And even after the session had ended, John spent some extra time working on his finishing. He said the new Beenhakker regime would make sure everyone in the team worked hard.
"No one's sure of playing on the fourth," he said. "So everyone has to come out and play hard for their pick."
And Beenhakker is promising to give his players more time on the pitch against Bermuda today, in order to make a proper assessment of their progress.
The coach has 22 players to choose from, including Glasgow Rangers defender Marvin Andrews, ex-Dundee defender Brent Sancho and goalkeeper Kelvin Jack, who were all due to return to Trinidad last night.
Beenhakker said he would decide today whether Andrews and Sancho would play any part in the match following their long journey back home.
"This is of course another training exercise for the team before the match against Panama and we will use it as a chance to see more of the players before we select the final team on the weekend," Beenhakker told Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) media officer Shaun Fuentes yesterday morning.
Jason Norville: "Injuries cost me my chance"
News: Watford Website.
[/color]

Jason Norville cited continual injury problems as the main reason he never established himself at Watford.
The Trinidadian striker was released by the Hornets at the end of the 04/05 season and will be looking for a new club next season, with Colchester United a possible destination after an earlier interest in the 21-year old.
A player who was always on the periphery of the first-team without ever breaking through, he suffered a torried run of injuries which ruled him out of action for lengthy periods in almost every season at Vicarage Road - ultimately ending his time with the Hornets.
Before heading off on his summer break, Norville sat down with watfordfc.com to ponder a spell which promised much, but ultimately delivered very little.
"No, it hasn't delivered much at all," he agreed. "I remember after my debut at Bradford talking about pushing on and playing in the first team but it's just never happened.
"I've had a lot of injuries during my time here, one after the other really, so it's been very hard to even get close to the team.
"I'd like to think that people knew I was a good player but injuries prevented me showing it to anyone. If I could have stayed injury-free I'm sure that things would be different now."
Jason nearly joined Colchester United on a loan spell but was recalled just before the transfer deadline, and hopes that their earlier interest will manifest itself in the form of a contract offer during the summer.
"I haven't spoken to them but I would hope so - it was disappointing not to go there and show what I could do but I don't know if they're still interested.
"It would have been the ideal chance to get some league games under my belt - I was playing in the Reserves here anyway but some proper league games would have been good for my fitness and confidence."
The striker enjoyed a rich run of form in the Barclays Premiership Reserve League (South) towards the end of his Watford stint, scoring five in five starts and, he hopes, finally showing what he's capable of.
"I knew a little ago that my contract wasn't being renewed so I was playing for myself really - that's the best way to play I think, to do it for yourself," he revealed.
"Scouts want to see you in the first team - I know I can play at the Reserve level because I've done it for the last six years but could I do it at the next level up? I think I can and that's what I want to prove next year."
Chris Birchall agrees to two-year deal.
[/color]

Fresh from making his debut for T&T, midfielder Chris Birchall has agreed to a new two-year contract with English Championship League club Port Vale.
Birchall returned to T&T on Sunday and is expected to make his international debut in today’s friendly against Bermuda at the Hasely Crawford Stadium from 6.30 pm.
“It’s been good stuff for me so far. I have spent all my career at Port Vale from the youth teams come up and now they have offered me a two-year deal with the first team which I have agreed to.
“Obviously, being able to play for Trinidad and Tobago is a big step for me and those back at the club have told me to go all out for it.
“That’s encouraging for me and now I will just get ready for the games coming up and the new season ahead,” Birchall said.
Gary Glasgow looks for new club.
[/color]

Striker Gary Glasgow is awaiting the start of the new China professional League season before he makes a decision on a new club.
The speedy former Defence Force man closed ties with Guangzhou Xiangxue earlier this year and has been back home training with the National team.
“At the moment I’m trying to focus on the training with the National team. I’m working on getting my form going again and hopefully that will lead to better things.
“I’m waiting on the season to start again when, hopefully, I’ll go back to China and link up with a different club,” Glasgow said. Teammate Arnold Dwarika also returned home recently following a season in China.
Aurtis Whitley wants to earn spot.
[/color]

CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh midfielder Aurtis Whitley is desperate to turn his international career around under coach Leo Beenhakker.
The talented player has had an up and down career, wearing the T&T shirt since making his debut against Panama in 2000 and did his ratings no good by turning down invitations to train under former coach Bertille St Clair.
But regarded by many as probably the best midfielder in the T&T Pro League, Whitley is now prepared to stay focused.
“I know I have been out of the national team for certain reasons, but right now I am prepared to give it another go and things have been going well for me.
“I am feeling great in training under coach Beenhakker and hopefully I will be able to impress him enough to make the final team. I’m also hoping to do well with my club this season and I think once I stick to my game, then you can expect to see good things on the field,” the 28-year-old Whitley said.
Marvin Andrews never doubted Rangers.
[/color]

Marvin Andrews says he never doubted Glasgow Ranger’s chances of claiming the 2005 Scottish Premier League title ahead of arch rivals Celtic.
Andrews, who defied doctors by playing a month with a cruciate ligament injury, is known for his strong religious beliefs.
He has been highlighted in the Scottish Press for offering prayers for Geraldine O’Neill, who is the wife of Celtic boss Martin O’Neill.
“My main concern for Martin O’Neill is about his family and his wife. Myself and my minister in the church are going to pray God touches his wife and helps her recover from whatever problem she has.
“You can’t compare any championship in football to family,” said Andrews. About the title, he added:
“It wasn’t looking like that, with us two points behind, but I just kept believing and trusting God and God has brought it through in the end.
“We have been written off many times, but the character of the team, the manager and the supporters meant we didn’t give in and we kept fighting to the end.”
Andrews arrived home on Tuesday with Dundee duo Brent Sancho and Kelvin Jack to join the T&T team in preparations for the June 4 World Cup qualifier at home to Panama.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 06:38:57 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
Re: Leo Beenhakker promises more chances versus Bermuda.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 05:09:39 PM »
Once again Beenie made reference to another game against Bermuda on the weekend. On the radio they keep saying one game can anyone verify which it will be ?
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 05:57:54 PM »
Coach Kyle grateful for ‘surprise’ tour
By Dan Rutstein (The Royal Gazette)

“It will give us some good match practice ahead of the Man City game. We are not going to turn down the chance to play two games against a top-class side, even if it has been a bit of a rush to get a squad together.”

Lightbourne still hasn’t finalised his 18 to compete in the two games on Wednesday and Friday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium as he waits on whether some of his players can get the time off work at short notice – and whether he can get some experience into the side.

If Beenie saying its 2 games and the Bermuda paper reported 2 games then I think it's safe to assume it will be 2 games

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 06:04:27 PM »

All those calling for a game against W Connection remember they playing Jabloteh in the Pro Bowl on Friday so they probably cah play till maybe Sunday...Saturday if we want to play dem bun cuz that Pro Bowl game go be hottly contested(I hope).

Any reports on today's training?
Stern bussing the net  ::)  Jus playing

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 10:20:43 PM »
who ever they play i sure we will play good..Go T&T

1]; } ?>