June 26, 2024, 12:31:04 AM

Author Topic: Leo says T&T a little closer to being ready for Panama  (Read 3642 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Leo says T&T a little closer to being ready for Panama
« on: May 26, 2005, 01:26:03 PM »
Leo says T&T a little closer to being ready for Panama
26-May-2005
Shaun Fuentes

National football coach Leo Beenhakker says he was not particularly happy with the wayward finishing in Wednesday’s 4-0 defeat of Bermuda but has hinted that he is well aware of how the “Warriors” will approach their June 4 World Cup qualifier against Panama.

Less than two weeks before the big clash at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, T&T warmed up with a comfortable 4-0 win over the visiting Bermudans and will get a second chance to do more damage to the inexperienced side and hopefully sharpen up further when they clash again at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium from 6pm on Friday.

Speaking after the match in which he attained his first win since taking over as coach, Beenhakker was not particularly pleased.

Leo Beenhakker

“Well no I was not particularly pleased but we got a win and this match gives us some guarantees for the matches against Panama and Mexico. We worked hard in the camp and you can see we are getting better little by little. It was a useful match for us especially in relation to last week’s match against Lima. We tried to play more in front and get more time in the box. We had several good chances and even though we didn’t make use of them, that could happen now, it’s not a problem.

“This is just a game to take us one step ahead,” Beenhakker said, adding that he was not concerned over the low rating of the Bermudans.

“We try to play with more possession and play football from  behind. We also try to use every player and get on front based on football and not with the long ball coming back as soon as you play it down there. We are trying to understand each other very well.”

When asked whether he has put a team together for the match against Panama by a local reporter, Beenhakker replied without giving any details of the actual squad.

“Yes I know how we are going to play on the 4th. I still have more than a week to go and I will work with all of the players. I will build a team that will be ready to play every match because we have the Gold Cup so the focus is not just the Panama game but right now you can say that the most important game is the Panama one. I know more or less all the overseas players. I had my first impression with Brent Sancho, Marvin Andrews and Kelvin Jack today (in training). I know them and that’s  a big advantage.

"This Friday we will give an opportunity to the other players in the camp in Friday’s game and then we start our final preparation on Monday. From my side it’s clear how we have to play Panama and with what team we have to do that.”

Finally asked about whether he now has confidence in the team’s chances following the win on Wednesday, Beenhakker said: “ I had confidence from the first day here because if I didn’t then I would not come over here. Little by little we are doing better. We still have a long way to go before we play at the level of Milan or Liverpool or I don’t know who but everyday you see some players picking up some details and playing better individually and then we are getting it better as a team. And if it’s enough to beat Panama and Mexico, I don’t know but at least we are playing more like a team now.”

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Leo says T&T a little closer to being ready for Panama
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 01:38:44 PM »
This is the first coach we have that say he not happy even after we win.. This is good, he realizes that we have to improve. Other coaches in the past would have been happy with the result even though we throw away twice as much as we score and we played a much weaker opponent.... Cmon warriors... Germany here we come...

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 03:11:37 PM »
Fellas I like Beenie man attitude.  He is not only saying the right things, but we are seing the improvement on the field.  I expect Stern to score a hattrick on Friday as he know his back is against the wall now as goes a starting spot, and he seems to play best when he is under that kind of pressure.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 03:31:38 PM »
Stern might not even play Friday.  Maybe Beenie would give he a start but I wouldn't be surprised if he bench after de tata he put dong yesterday from ALL reports.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 03:48:45 PM »
Stern need a flicking bush bath. After that u bather him down in raw turpintine ........then pelt some serious planass on him.
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 03:50:06 PM »
Based on how Beenie has been lining up the squad I feel Dwight and Jones will get the start at striker as they did vs Lima.  Stern ("Alibey") John and Glen go come orf de bench.  Coach seems set on the Edwards/Birchall/Whitely/Tiger combo in midfield since they got the start for the 2nd match in a row.
Defense still up for grabs.  Atiba seems set on the right but big battle between Dog, Lawrence, Sancho, Avery and Cox for the middle 2.  Rojas or Wolfe on the left or maybe Avery.  Personally I would choose Atiba, Dog, Cox and Avery for the back 4.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 03:55:10 PM by arrow »

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 03:54:46 PM »
I don't think Stern can do it. not with the barrage of in form strikers we have. Beenie most impressive saying so far is We try to play with more possession and play football from  behind. We also try to use every player and get on front based on football and not with the long ball coming back as soon as you play it down there. We are trying to understand each other very well.”  Thiswas a downfall of BSC. Maybe he didnt start but he also didnt stop it.  Beenie seems like he plan to stop the Old'English style (not new english quick passes) and bounce de ball more building from behind. And fellas I aint know but if I see Trinbago defence knock de ball out of the defence comfortable and aint have to voom kick I happy yes...

Warriors & Beenie for Germany!!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 04:14:58 PM »
I don't think Stern can do it. not with the barrage of in form strikers we have.

Which part?

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 04:20:43 PM »
I agree with Jahyouth in liking how Beenie Man talking.  It is refreshing to hear a coach talk about the team, the technical approach of the team and not be overly defensive of his position in light of recent results but focusing on the things that matter.  Noting the observed improvement in the team from many of the forumites, he seems to be getting the job done.  Almost every forumite mentioned the weakness in our midfield which warranted the appearance of the team looking as though we playing backs and forward.  Well maybe we have seen the last of that nonsense, since the ball most times returned to the defense before they could blink.  It was only so long the team could sustain that sort of self-inflicted pressure without conceiving a goal.  Furthermore the fact that Beenie expressing confidence in the team stating where he would like to see the team but not going way overboard helps.  He also was honest and acknowledged the weak opponent and was not obssesed with the results as Samo points out.  This is indeed a breath of fresh air.  

He appears to have a strong focus on the second half of the qualifiers by his statement to the preparation afforded by the Gold Cup.  All in all he appears to be taking the right steps.  Maybe the fact that we have Panama next, which will be no walk over in the slightest (and it shouldn't since this is in fact the Final Hex) is the best opponent at this rebuilding time and might be a blessing.  We would have been hard pressed to get a good result away to Mexico under any circumstance even with Beenie, but after that we have a period to refine the team before the second round.  There can be no excuse with regards to playing quality opponents in the summer, it is in the cards.

As for the final selection, lets leave that to Beenie Man, he should not have any bias to picking Stern if he still cah score to save he live.  I feel confident that Beenie will leave him out if there is a better option ;).

Onward Warriors.  We watching with heighten optimism.
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 08:28:37 AM »
dcs you know that in form for us means something a little different.

In Form = Healthy, getting playing time, aint have no dreadlocks, (sorry wrong coach) Foreign based

This is the composition of "In Form" for our forwards and as it looks we have maybe 4-5 "In Form" forwards matching the criteria..

Yuh gotta call it as yuh see it...
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 08:49:33 AM »
Stern is all of those things you just mentioned so he is also "in form".  So why can't he do it again?

jusme

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 08:59:04 AM »
in my opinion beenie should give stern one chance on goal or 30 minutes, whichever one comes first, to prove himself as a finisher.  Unless he do something miraculous we hadda go with yorkie and jones up top.  the benching will be good for him.  anybody ever see a child stop giving trouble if he never getting punished?

I like the midfield 4, good combination of hustle, creativity and ability to keep possession.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 09:09:46 AM »
Arrow, Stern just start back getting playing time, at the end of the season.Dat  cya count as much as dem man who been gettin dey playing time long time. Strictly on a playing time point of course.
I also was not trying to be-little our players is just dat dcs pull meh up on the word"in form" which is truly used when speaking about in form or prolific strikers around de world. True Dat, So i was tryin to show that i was talkin about what we might be able to call a little "form". Call it what yuh want Stern out of form, seemingly out of inspiration and soon will be outta gas if he dont start producing.

He too big to baby sit, that was de concensus with Yorke then Latas and so too for Stern.

By the way, after I see Cafu run de other day at he age it get meh a little more pissed off with a certain gifted midfield countryman of ours but dem man too big to baby sit,  so is as Sam say...
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 09:21:31 AM »
understood but could you do me a favor and please list who are those 4-5 strikers who have been getting more playing time for their clubs than Stern?

1. Jones (yes)
2. ? (yorke?? hell no)
3. ? (sam ?? no)
4. ? (glen ?? no)
5. ? (glasgow?? no)

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 11:00:19 AM »
Yorke should be playing just behind the strikers... Yorke has not scored a goal in a long time.. His work rate is very high and he has very good vision and toches... I still don't believe that Jones should be used as a striker..
Maybe Stern (if he plays well and Dwarika, or Glenn, and Sam of the bench

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 12:14:27 PM »
Sam
Sealy
McFarlene
Glen??
Jones
Yorke  no (but he fit)

but of those names i know its really only Glen, Jones, Yorke, Sam & Stern in the fold right now.
I would start Yorke upfront before I start Stern unless we short. I  not too fond of Jones upfront I kinda see him as a flank man or a overlappin rightback.

I still would start a Jones , Yorke Combo before I start stern unless he taste some pine and get his act together.

True indeed recently Stern taste some blood for his Team but he aint taste none for Trini so I just not sure if he wont just fall back into the slump.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2005, 12:34:04 PM »
Playing time:

Glen has played 275 minutes for Crew this season
Sealy has played 189 minutes for KC this season
Jones played 1672 minutes this season
Sam played 2089 minutes this season

Stern played 2528 minutes this season

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 12:55:30 PM »
Mc Farlane WHO!? Let's all just forget that name, he will never be on the team, but then again is lamo Nigel Pierre was on the team then you never know. But Bertille is not here so hopefully Pierre and Mc Farlane are persons of the past, Glasgow better do something outstanding as well, because I thought he and Pierre were the worst forwards under Berta.
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 07:56:04 PM »
"but at least we are playing more like a team now.” - Beenie.....

Oh lawd, so wha we was before Beenie come?

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2005, 07:57:54 AM »
 Stern John starting on his past exploits right now but i feel if he continue throwin away chances he will get drop. I know he could do better and if he get a few goals he could turn it around....Go T&T

1]; } ?>