September 20, 2024, 09:16:53 PM

Author Topic: Bitter Medicine........but could it be good medicine?  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Saltanfresh

• Sr. Warrior
  • Doi! Doi! Doi!....everytime
    • View Profile
Bitter Medicine........but could it be good medicine?
« on: March 28, 2005, 10:15:31 AM »
Guatemala did more than give we FIVE on Saturday, they humiliated T&T internationally. Some may feel like they get "ah horn from dey gyul" in front the whole wide-world, and others will say is just ah game..........the latter is one of the problems of T&T football.
Countries that have "National Football Passion," would have thousands of protestors in the street today, waiting in Piarco to let TTFF and the players know that the result was unacceptable and calling for action to rectify the current situation.We on the other hand, have a handful of die-hard supporters, most Trinis today are oblivious, we could not be bothered, another day another dollar for most. WE ARE NOT CONCERNED ENOUGH, to make these players and the administration (Tech. Staff included) accountable.
When ever I ask my neighbour to come go see a T&T game, or if he saw the last game he laughs at me and says "never me again," "dem, dem cyar get my support." He claims to have been a passionate supporter up to the last campaign but was turned off after seeing a poor display from, as he put it "we star-boys" that lead to T&T getting licks at home. But what infuriated him most, was that after the game the same "star-boys" were LIMING AND KICKSING BY THE TEAM BUS WITH SOME CHICKS, as if nothing had just happened, while he as a fan felt devasted inside. He now refers to the "warriors" as "wais ah time." Is he wrong to think so?
But should we expect more accountablity in football when there is little in health, education, national security, etc.? Is this even bigger than football?
Could this FIVE from Guatemala be used as a catalyst for change in our national football team or even further parts of our national PSYCHE, or will it just be ignored because as some will say "it is just a game." My ole man, may he rest in peace, used to say "if T&T put the passion we have in Feting and Carnival towards more important endeavors, we are unstoppable" and he eh lie...........
Maybe we need some MORE FIVE's in other things (football included,) before we start agitating loudly for national betterment all around.
So come on T&T, open wide and swallow, it might be bitter now but let us use it wisely to make a differnce.

I do not at all advocate civil disobedience or violence
Hovever this is a cleasr example of a Country with Football Passion (See below)

Spurs concern over 'missing' Kanoute

Tottenham are still trying to make contact with striker Fredi Kanoute after Mali fans threatened to kill him when their pitch invasion ended a World Cup qualifier against Togo in Bamako.

Fredi Kanoute: Mob death threats. (MarkThompson/GettyImages)

Mali were a goal up until the 83rd minute when Togo scored two quick goals that looked certain to win the match for them - until some of the 70,000 crowd rioted and stormed on to the pitch demanding: 'Give us Frederic Kanoute and Mamadou Bayoko. We are going to kill them.'

A Spurs official said today he had tried to telephone their former West Ham and Lyon striker but had only the response of an answer-machine and was not quite clear when Kanoute was due to return to England.

'Naturally there is a lot of concern over the press reports but we are trying to contact Fredi to ascertain his situation as soon as possible,' said the spokesman.

Bamako was said to be in a state of turmoil after residents joined football fans in looting and destruction after the match. Police used tear gas as rioters tried to ransack the offices of the Mali Football Federation and burned down the building which contains the Mali Olympic Committee.

Last year, £4million-buy Kanoute caused disruption at White Hart Lane by informing the club he was going to play for Mali in the African Nations Cup in the middle of the Premiership season despite his previous international connections with France.

Kanoute, 27, claimed qualification for Mali through his parents and has become the team's leading player. 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 08:12:20 AM by nigelfabien »

1]; } ?>