June 28, 2024, 07:38:06 PM

Poll

Do you think Dwight Yorke he was robbed of being the European Player of the Year

Yes
No

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke was supposed to be voted European Player of the Year in 1999  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
 Dwight score goals against the best in Man U' treble run.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight Yorke was supposed to be voted European Player of the Year in 1999
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 07:01:43 AM »
Well, Rivaldo won it that year...and he was hard to beat. I remember that 3-3 between Barcelona and Manchester United which was probably one of the best matches I have ever seen. Yorke was good that year, but Rivaldo was on another planet...

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 07:14:32 AM »
In his first season with United, Yorke played an instrumental part in the club's Treble success. He was their top goalscorer for the season with 29, and he set up many others for Andy Cole, his new strike partner and close friend. Rivaldo only win spanish league...Yorke destroy everybody

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 07:44:31 AM »
Agreed

Yorke was dat good Ronaldo invited him to play in that charity match a lil while back.
At least he got the respect of his peers
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 09:59:29 AM »
In his first season with United, Yorke played an instrumental part in the club's Treble success. He was their top goalscorer for the season with 29, and he set up many others for Andy Cole, his new strike partner and close friend. Rivaldo only win spanish league...Yorke destroy everybody

is a team sport killa, so you reasoning a little off. Even at manU it was hard to pick the most influential man...Beckham, Keane, Scholes, Schmeichel was all getting the same level of love as Yorkie. Rivaldo had no peers at Barcelona that season (Figo was up there but in '99 he take a back seat to the Brazilian).

BUUUUT if Yorke was a Brazilian with more marketing behind him and from a more respected/romanticized football nation he mighta get more respect. plus, the winners of these trophies usually need to be shining for more than one season to win it. look how long it take shevchenko to get love...Yorke was never going to win it on one break-out season, unless he was an uber-marketed teenager or spoke a romance language

Online Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 11:30:51 AM »
True what you say about marketing.  Also I feel he woulda get more recognition if he did the same feat in Spain or Italy.  At that time people definitely regarded Italy and Spain as better leagues. 

When yuh want to talk about who was most influential on Man U side, just remember that Yorke topscored and tied for most assists for Man U.  He was also joint top scorer with Shevchenko in de Champs League.  In my books he shoulda been Euro player of the yr.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 11:36:56 AM by Peong »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 11:33:32 AM »
did he get a bid ?.........I don't remember
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 11:37:40 AM »
what is European footballer of the year based on? is it just based on club ball or international ball as well. Did Rivaldo's exploits for Brazil count, or just his games with Barca. I'd imagine that as long as you play in a European league, maybe even your national games for a non-European team might count.....I could google it but I feeling lazy...anybody know? I suspect it is only European club competition to make it fair.....

1]; } ?>