June 26, 2024, 04:56:11 AM

Author Topic: 2026 World Cup Thread  (Read 17686 times)

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 2026 World Cup Thread
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2024, 07:47:57 PM »
phew! 

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2024, 08:02:16 PM »
Rampersad helped organize the midfield. He should've started.

Moore is full of confidence. You see how he's grown from being in the CPL.

Angus ain't the man for the job.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2024, 08:25:36 PM »
I love Reon Moore, this man is a real trinbago baller. Massive spirit.
Telfer also impressive, very steady and a difference maker. Rampersad is our best midfielder, why was he not starting Mr eve? Justin and aubrey were good but they were kept busy. Raymond if he had only kept his wits on that play. Once again we waiting on something to kick us into high gear. Glad we didn't lose but we should be winning this game

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2024, 09:26:58 PM »
Hear nah.  I keep feeling like I imagined how good Grenada played tonight.  I felt of the two teams Grenada always looked more likely to score.  How can we struggle to beat Grenada AT HOME??  Soooooo....when we meet "better" quality opposition AWAY is wha??..... ???
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2024, 10:17:31 PM »
When Levi got the knock and start doing standing yoga stretches, and then looked towards the bench, I knew that was it...like I've said before, he needs to track down the man who helped Gündoğan overcome his injuries and spend some money...it's been ridiculous man.

Eve finally saw the light with Bateau/Hackshaw/Moses et al...I hope he sees the friggin light with Daniel Phillip...Poon Angeron/Yeates/Dantaye can do the same job Phillips is doing, but with much better passing and decision-making ability (and I've never seen two of them play!)

I give up on even mentioning Muckette and the tempo he brings to the team/game, I effin give up

Reon Moore has been this good even before he went Canada.

Granted we should be beating them, but six of the Grenadians were born in England, one was born in Canada...clearly that counts for something.

With Levi gone, Real or Natty should get a starting spot against Bahamas.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 10:19:02 PM by Fyzoman »
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 06, 2024, 12:32:38 AM »
Upon reflection, it was clear that the game was not up to par. Coach Eve's insistence on the players kicking the ball to the forwarders, leading to frequent possession losses, was a frustrating strategy. The Trinidad and Tobago teams' performance was below an average level, resulting in a less-than-scary game. We need to change this coach. I believe he doesn't have what it takes to push Trinidad to world qualifications. Hence, when Leo Beenhakker took over the team, you saw the squad's improvement. It would be best for the TTFA to consider a coaching change soon, or else our chances of success may be compromised. I believe we have a talented young team with skillful players. When I watched the game, it looked awful, and I was very frustrated.

Please make a coaching change very fast.   :banginghead:

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2024, 12:35:25 AM »
Muckette is very slow and does not bring a good tempo to the game. I don't know why he's on the team.

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 06, 2024, 01:16:53 AM »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #158 on: June 06, 2024, 02:08:43 AM »
Soca Warriors open 2026 World Cup qualifying with 2-2 draw vs Grenada.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

THE road to the 2026 FIFA World Cup for the Soca Warriors kicked off in disappointing fashion with a 2-2 draw against Grenada at Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo on June 5 in their first qualifier.

The Soca Warriors often ask for the T&T fans to come out in numbers and be the 12th man. It was by no means a full house, but over 8,000 showed up to support.

A brace from Myles Hippolyte in the first half gave The Spice Boys of Grenada a 2-0 lead. Ryan Telfer pulled a goal back before halftime and Reon Moore equalised with 15 minutes remaining.

The first quality chance on goal was for T&T. In the fifth minute, Telfer picked out Noah Powder with a diagonal pass. Powder collected near the top of the 18-yard box, but his shot was parried away.

Grenada played a high line as the defenders stood near the halfline. The high line worked in the first 15 minutes as most of T&T's possession was in their own half.

Grenada, who dominated physically, started to string passes together and it led to an attempt by Darius Johnson. The left winger cut in on his right foot, but his shot went wide in the 19th minute.

The Spice Boys were rewarded in the 24th minute with a penalty. Josh Gabriel hit a cross from the left side and it struck Daniel Phillips, who handled the ball. Hippolyte converted to make it 1-0.

In the 28th minute, Hippolyte's scorcher made it 2-0. The ball was initially cleared by T&T, but it fell to Hippolyte just inside the box who volleyed home.

You could hear a pin drop in the stadium.

Grenada continued to create better chances in front goal. In the 40th, Johnson found himself in the box with only T&T goalkeeper Denzil Smith to beat but the T&T custodian kept the score 2-0 with a diving save.

Against the run of play, T&T pulled back a goal in the 43rd minute. A neat counter-attack led to Telfer slotting home near the penalty spot.At halftime, T&T were trailing 2-1.

At halftime, T&T head coach Angus Eve substituted Powder for Alvin Jones and talisman Levi Garcia was forced to be subbed for Andre Rampersad due to injury.

T&T began the second half with more purpose in search of the equaliser, but Smith still had work to do in the T&T goal.

In the 60th minute, Telfer collected the ball near the halfline with space in front of him. He made a strong run toward goal but he scuffed his shot and it trickled wide. Eve introduced the attacking Nathaniel James with a little more than 20 minutes left.

Reon Moore, who was having a quiet match, was played through on goal but over pushed and Grenada goalkeeper Jason Belfon stopped a goal-scoring chance. Minutes later, Moore made amends as he beat Belfon with a powerful shot at the near post in the 75th minute to make it 2-2. The crowd was now animated as the Mexican Wave started to make its way around the stadium, which was later followed by chants of "T&T we want a goal."

In the 82nd minute, Jones made a timely challenge in the box to deny Grenada a goal-scoring chance.

Grenada did not sit back and settle for a draw. In the 89th minute, sub Steffon Abraham's free kick from 20 yards sailed over the crossbar.

Grenada got a chance to grab a late winner, but could not as the match ended 2-2.

The Soca Warriors will play The Bahamas in their next World Cup qualifier on June 8 in the Bahamas.

(Squads)

Trinidad and Tobago (4-3-3): 22.Denzil Smith (GK); 14.Shannon Gomez (10.Real Gill 78), 2.Aubrey David (captain), 17.Justin Garcia, 6.Andre Raymond (3.Triston Hodge 78); 8.Noah Powder (16.Alvin Jones 46), 4.Daniel Phillips, 20.Ajani Fortune (9.Nathaniel James 66); 13.Reon Moore, 11.Levi Garcia (18.Andre Rampersad 46), 7.Ryan Telfer.

Unused substitutes: 1.Christopher Biggette (GK), 21.Aaron Enill (GK), 5.Duane Muckette, 12.Steffen Yeates, 15.Dantaye Gilbert, 19.Malcolm Shaw, 23.Kevon Woodley.

Standbys: Josiah Trimmingham, Michel Poon-Angeron.

Coach: Angus Eve

Grenada (4-2-3-1): 1.Jason Belfon (GK); 2.Benjamin Ettienne (13.Steffon Abraham 87), 4.Kayden Harrack, 5.Omar Beckles (captain), 21.Josh Gabriel; 19.Kwazim Theodore, 8.Myles Hippolyte (23.Jamal Charles 87); 15.Jermaine Francis (10.Saydrel Lewis 79), 11.Shavon John-Brown (7.Romar Frank 87), 20.Darius Johnson (16.Keishon Clarke 87), 9.Lucas Akins.

Unused substitutes: 12.Chad Phillip (GK), 22.Trishawn Thomas (GK), 3.Brady Charles, 6.Dorrel Pierre, 14.Jamie Kabuusu,  17.Trevon Williams, 18.Vijay Valcin.

Coach: Shalrie Joseph

Referee: Mario Escobar (Guatemala).

« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 02:10:51 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 06, 2024, 02:42:47 AM »
i wouldn't want to watch this game even if I was paid to do so,why d F & & K we best footballer didn't start,man we get away by the "skin ah we teeth".

Offline Marcus868

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 06, 2024, 05:29:23 AM »
Upon reflection, it was clear that the game was not up to par. Coach Eve's insistence on the players kicking the ball to the forwarders, leading to frequent possession losses, was a frustrating strategy. The Trinidad and Tobago teams' performance was below an average level, resulting in a less-than-scary game. We need to change this coach. I believe he doesn't have what it takes to push Trinidad to world qualifications. Hence, when Leo Beenhakker took over the team, you saw the squad's improvement. It would be best for the TTFA to consider a coaching change soon, or else our chances of success may be compromised. I believe we have a talented young team with skillful players. When I watched the game, it looked awful, and I was very frustrated.

Please make a coaching change very fast.   :banginghead:

Reading all the comments and seeing the frustration in people, its clear that the general public now seeing what most people in this group have been saying for well over a year now... that coach man out of his league and although some would say he brought back some stability to the team.... he did his job and HE NEEDS TO GO NOW!! We as a country need to invest in a proper coach who understands football decision making at a high level, our tactics poor, our player choices poor, his interviews horrible... not sure if he truly inspiring the team anymore. From the onset he should have had a plan and stuck to it, he wants to do too much, (wants to give local players exposure for contracts and wants to play top football and get results- that's two different callings). Granted he got some players exposure and a few contracts coming through but we as a nation deserve better!!!

On another note, we always blaming the grandparent law and we can't get the right players but we not even choosing the right players now!  :banginghead: :banginghead: we always quarrelling about lack of funds but ... just as an example.. tickets for yesterday's game were $100/150 we had about 8000ppl in the stadium, so a conservative revenue figure there would be $800k.... who accounting for that?  :worried:

But back to the point, Trinis would spend their money to get results... we in this group have named players from all over the world already, but who cares? who scouting them? coach not interested in dat.... lets enjoy young bredda and whettie!!
we have players in Holland, England that unable to get called up.

Judah Garcia home in Point posting social media videos with him playing football whole week and not getting called up, Yeates coming off a player of the week and can't even get a 10mins!

someone mentioned USL defenders .... Herbert and Leland Archer should be in and around the final team because they playing consistent football now. I love Andre Raymond, but I saw he currently unattached and his match fitness and sharpness showed a bit last night.

We changed formation about 4 times last night, men switching everywhere, leaving Daniel phillips at times outnumbered 3 to 1 in the middle and grenada got some confidence and started running at us. When Alvin came on, what was his position? The whole switching up so often was confusing and that's because we played reactive football! at one point Levi went on top and he struggles there for us.. At one point Telfer took a shot and 5 secs after defending down the left wing.... it was scrappy and very sub par.

Again we need EVE TO GO and we need a quality coach.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 06, 2024, 06:21:44 AM »
Just rewatched the 2nd-half...Angus really can't help himself...he brings on a DEFENDER (Alvin) for Levi.

He then brought on an attacker for Shannon...real scaredy-cat coaching.
Gill or Natty would have embarrassed big strong Gabriel who was 'mannersing' Levi in the first half...they would have been too nippy for him

These Latino refs and us eh, after rewatching -- bout 6 times -- Reon Moore's penalty it was simply way more easier to give than Phillips'. Ref was about 16 yards with a clear view of it, and the defender wasn't even close to making contact with the ball...but there he is EMPATHICALLY waving it off...VAR would have MADE him give that penalty :)

Just like I did with Antony on my Manchester United; I hope Daniel Phillips gets some really minor injury to prevent him from playing against Bahamas.

Looking forward to Bahamas and Dantaye and Yeates...Shaw good right where he is on that bench, maybe he might give the tempo-bringing Muckette a few minutes if we up by a few goals...but I doubt it ;D

LFG Warriors!!!

Offline Marcus868

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 06, 2024, 06:54:16 AM »
Just rewatched the 2nd-half...Angus really can't help himself...he brings on a DEFENDER (Alvin) for Levi.

He then brought on an attacker for Shannon...real scaredy-cat coaching.
Gill or Natty would have embarrassed big strong Gabriel who was 'mannersing' Levi in the first half...they would have been too nippy for him

These Latino refs and us eh, after rewatching -- bout 6 times -- Reon Moore's penalty it was simply way more easier to give than Phillips'. Ref was about 16 yards with a clear view of it, and the defender wasn't even close to making contact with the ball...but there he is EMPATHICALLY waving it off...VAR would have MADE him give that penalty :)

Just like I did with Antony on my Manchester United; I hope Daniel Phillips gets some really minor injury to prevent him from playing against Bahamas.

Looking forward to Bahamas and Dantaye and Yeates...Shaw good right where he is on that bench, maybe he might give the tempo-bringing Muckette a few minutes if we up by a few goals...but I doubt it ;D

LFG Warriors!!!

Anyone listened to his remarks vs the Grenadian coaches remarks??? He's like... well we didn't lose and y'all have to support us cause this is your team and blaming the window on not getting time to gel. No talk of proper tactics and when questioned about decision making he laughs it off and says well we could always say ifs, buts and maybes after the fact.

Meanwhile Grenada's coach said they disappointed they didn't get the 3pts and had a clear plan to get it, he talks about scouting trinidad team and knowing their tactics and predicting our play etc. This man been in his position 6 WEEKS!!!! Angus been there 3YRS  :pissedoff: :pissedoff: :pissedoff:

at this point better we take Grenada's coach yes... We may actually play football that makes sense and people want to see.

Our coach is the same one who when asked about college players like Spicer and Wayne Fredricks before the draft laughed and said those guys won't be able to make the team cause they need to play professional football.... fast track to 6 months later after the draft.. you now looking to call them.... NO SCOUTING SKILLS AT ALL.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 06, 2024, 07:56:38 AM »
@Marcus868 yeah boy, you're a glutton for punishment just like me to go and listen to Agnus yes :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ad8hjBsuXo

Shalrie:

At the 2:20 minute mark Shalrie say he knew we would start launching long balls because of their compactness in midfield. Apparently Angus cool with watching us give it back to teams to start new attacks ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHIodcj0tNs&t=184s

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 06, 2024, 08:41:29 AM »
Who starting the Hire Shalrie thread?

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 06, 2024, 03:25:42 PM »
Like Stern John and St Lucia didn’t get the memo that St Lucia still suppose to be minnows in Caribbean football…and yes, Haiti might still beat them up badly, but still, so far so good!

Playing at some Wildey Stadium in Barbados with a turf field to boot…interesting?

Ok, ok, it’s Haiti using Bimshire for their home games…cause, well, Barbecue them getting on in Haiti…smfh.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 04:55:25 AM by Fyzoman »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 06, 2024, 04:18:33 PM »
It's about the CPL boys. The CPL boys are the ones holding this team down. Telfer, Moore, Rampersad and Yeates. These guys are going to be key.

The order of the fixtures is what we need to keep an eye on since we draw.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 07, 2024, 07:13:23 AM »
The order of the fixtures is what we need to keep an eye on since we draw.

Well is The Bahamas next.  If we cyar beat them, then what's the point of even continuing in the campaign??  ::)
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 07, 2024, 09:16:37 AM »
Granted we don't play either of them until June next year, I imagine Eve and the team watched Costa Rica demolish St Kitts last night?

With only THREE games left to play to advance, there is no margin for error, we have to run up the score against Bahamas cause Grenada and St Kitts will be looking to do the same as we all fight for 2nd place.

There is absolutely ZERO chance of Bahamas beating THIS TnT team, and I couldn't be bothered whether the incompetent Angus is the coach or not:)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 07, 2024, 11:40:00 AM »
Soca Warriors coach Angus Eve: All is not lost after Grenada draw
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday)

FOLLOWING his team's 2-2 draw against Grenada in the opening match of the Fifa 2026 World Cup qualifying campaign at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo on June 5, Soca Warriors coach Angus Eve is reassuring the football public all is not lost on the team's quest to secure an automatic qualifying spot.

Against their spirited and physical Caribbean opponents, T&T trailed by a 2-0 margin inside the first half hour after a brace from English-based midfielder Myles Hippolyte. The Soca Warriors looked sluggish for most of the contest and seemed to be knocked off their stride by the physical approach of the Grenadians. They fought back, though, and got goals from attackers Ryan Telfer and Reon Moore to salvage a point in their group B opener. The mood among the 8,000-plus spectators at the venue was one of disappointment as opposed to relief, as the hosts were given a real scare against their 174th-ranked opponents.

"We didn't lose which is the most important thing. I think when we qualified in 2006, it was the same thing. We had a game against Costa Rica right in the stadium here. The campaign started the same way and we ended up qualifying," Eve said, at the post-match conference.

T&T's first game of the 2006 campaign was actually a 2-0 win over the Dominican Republic in the second round, with the Soca Warriors advancing to the next phase after a 6-0 aggregate win.

After navigating the second and third rounds, T&T met Costa Rica in the third match of the Concacaf Hex campaign – playing to a goalless draw in Mucurapo.

The Soca Warriors coach was far from satisfied with his team's first outing.

"It's always good not to lose a game, but there are a lot of things to be disappointed in. I thought our discipline was poor.

"The game was very open. There were a lot of chances on both sides. Probably a draw was the best we could have got out of the game the way we played."

Going into the half facing a 2-1 deficit, the Soca Warriors were struck a blow when their ace striker Levi Garcia was substituted after experiencing discomfort in his back following a challenge from a Grenada defender. Both Garcia and utility player Noah Powder were withdrawn at the break, with midfielder Andre Rampersad and right back Alvin Jones entering the proceedings. With the subs, the Soca Warriors had a change in shape to 5-3-2, with Moore and Telfer partnering each other in attack, and Jones slotting in at centre-back.

This isn't the first time the AEK Athens forward has been sidelined by injury in recent times, as he missed the majority of the Soca Warriors' 2023/24 Concacaf Nations League A campaign with a series of niggling injuries.

In the October and November 2023 Fifa windows, Jones was named to the Concacaf Nations League A Best XI, and he was a surprise exclusion from Eve's starting lineup on Wednesday. The coach didn't explain the decision to start the Miscellaneous Police FC player on the bench.

Both Jones and Rampersad affected T&T's play positively, particularly with their robust approach. T&T managed their equaliser in the 74th minute when Moore buried a right-footed shot from close range after Telfer flicked on a long ball.

"Sometimes it's about the balance of the midfield because we had a lot of attacking players...probably the guys didn't click today."

Again, the T&T coach said the team weren't given enough time to prepare for the games with the nature of the Fifa window.

"It's a difficult thing when you have one-and-a-half days with the squad. It's very difficult to get the cohesion of the team right. The window is from the June 3-10 and we're playing in the first couple of days in the window. Games could have been stretched out a little further for us.

"Unfortunately, we really didn't connect with each other tonight and I think the first three (in the midfield) tried to play the ball a little too tight."

Eve said a "porous" defence remains a problem for TT, and he defended the customary pragmatic approach he's been criticised for.

"Defence is one of the areas we want to strengthen up, but our hands are tied. We can only use the players we have. No matter what combination we play, we always seem to go down 2-0 in the first half and then come back strong in the second half.

"People accuse me of being a defensive coach. But you saw we opened up the game and the reason why is because we were realistic about the players we have and we're more dangerous on the counter-attack as opposed to when we try to play open football. And you saw that again."

Two group B teams will advance to the next round of World Cup qualifying, and with games against the Bahamas, St Kitts and Nevis and group favourites Costa Rica still to come, the T&T coach believes his team can get the job done.

Eve also called on the T&T fanbase to keep their unwavering support for the team, and he asked them to display the type of loyalty they show to overseas clubs.

"The same people who are supporting Manchester United are in the stands tonight. They have been losing all season. We didn't lose, we drew the match. Thanks to the fans for coming out and supporting their team."

Eve said he hopes his team will have more cohesion for their second qualifying game against the Bahamas from 5.30 pm on June 8. Another unsatisfactory result can see an early end to the Soca Warriors' dream of qualifying for the 2026 World Cup.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 07, 2024, 11:56:21 AM »
Yuh know.  Ah tried to avoid watching the post game press conference with Eve cuz ah hadda feeling ah woulda cuss.  Ah take mih fast self and read this article.....and ah want to cuss!!!   :cursing: :bs: :yellowcard: :banginghead:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 07, 2024, 12:04:19 PM »
Open disappointment...Eve, Joseph rue opportunities missed
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

THE open, roller-coaster football World Cup qualifier that ended in a 2-2 draw between Trinidad and Tobago and Grenada on Wednesday night, might have been perfect entertainment for neutrals but in differing ways, was a nightmare for both coaches.

“Always good not to lose a game. But there’s a lot of stuff to be disappointed in,” T&T coach Angus Eve surmised after the game.

“I thought that the discipline was poor. I thought that the game was very open. There were a lot of chances on both sides. Probably a draw was the best we could have got out of the game, the way we played today.”

On a short stint with his national team and armed with several England-born players, Grenada coach Shalrie Joseph felt his side blew an opportunity to leave Port of Spain with full points.

“To be honest I’m a little bit disappointed. I thought we had the game in hand. We did a really good (job) on both sides of the ball. Unfortunately, we gave up two goals from things we talked about all week.”

Joseph thought Grenada let an opportunity slip by not taking a three-goal first half lead through midfielder Darius Johnson. The Holland-based midfielder, who plays for top-flight (Eredivisie) club FC Volendam, bore down on goal menacingly, only to be denied by T&T goalie Denzil Smith. That save kept the Soca Warriors in the match, allowing them to battle back in the second half.

“You gotta give them (T&T) credit. They kept pushing and pushing,” Joseph said. “It was an open, wide game, and we give both countries credit for delivering such an open-wide and fun attacking soccer game.”

Eve admitted giving a more attacking look to his middle by using two attacking midfielders, Noah Powder and Ajani Fortune, with Daniel Phillips as the defensive link. But he wondered afterwards whether the right balance was struck.

“The midfield was too open, if anything,” said Eve. “It was only when we solidified the midfield in the second half by bringing on Andre Rampersad, then it gave us a platform for Nathaniel James and Reon Moore and Telfer (Ryan), and then to go forward and create chances.”

Facing constant criticism about being a defensive-minded coach, Eve explained that his approached has had to be pragmatic, given the players at his disposal.

“I’m realistic about the players that we have, and we are more dangerous on the counter-attack, as opposed to when we try to play open football,” said Eve. “You saw that again tonight.”

He added: “The game could have gone any side. It could have gone to them, it could have gone to us, based on the chances both teams had.”

Physicality and discipline were qualities coach Joseph expected from his Spice Island players. Grenada came with a strategy to shut down the Trinidad and Tobago midfield, and largely did so. Joseph revealed that he had extensively reviewed the Soca Warriors’ last ten matches before formulating his plans.

“I didn’t believe they had the quality in the midfield to play through us,” Joseph deduced. “We did a great job at keeping it tight and not allowing them to play there (in midfield). And once you start doing that, then you know automatically they’re going to look to play (the ball) long.”

Despite several of his footballers only playing in the English lower leagues, Joseph said they brought with them a strong work ethic.

“Physically, I thought we could dominate the ball. It’s about will. It’s about determination,“ Joseph said. “The mentality from the players showed from the very first minute. They were aggressive. They were getting in the tackles, they were winning their duels, they were winning their battles.”

He added: “We wanted to be the aggressors, even though we were on the road. No matter where we are, especially in Trinidad....we need to be the aggressor when we step on the field.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 07, 2024, 01:22:43 PM »
I am fedup of seeing Levi Garcia travel from Greece to come and play for us for 10,15 or 20 minutes,we have reached where we are without his help,it seems we can do without him.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 07, 2024, 01:37:32 PM »
So he picked showtime who 37 and cannot handle a physical game ???
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 07, 2024, 02:06:25 PM »
Did Woodley play ?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 07, 2024, 02:31:31 PM »
Nope
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 07, 2024, 03:20:18 PM »
Angus is a joker....now I understand why Sean does be so quick to end them interviews :)

So he basically pick Woodley only to play against Bahamas then, cause if he couldn't play against Grenada, then he surely can't play against St Kitts or CR either!

But no bad breeze doh blow, it gave him/us a chance to see Real Gill against the same defender who manners Levi whole first half...Real handle the man as if he was a schoolboy when he came on.
Injury should be the ONLY thing that prevents Real from starting Saturday. Telfer, Reon and either Real or Natty...it really not that complicated.

Yeates and Dantaye absolutely have to get major minutes on Saturday, rest Daniel Phillips and figure out a way to see what them two newbies bring to the team man...the next international window is quite in September

And yeah frico, I'm sure rell football fans fed up of Levi now with the constant injuries.
I was watching and waiting for him to get hurt against Grenada...smfh.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 03:22:25 PM by Fyzoman »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 07, 2024, 06:15:00 PM »
Still trying to understand the hype behind gill and natty. Those 2 are plain average

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 07, 2024, 08:34:51 PM »
@Trini-2026, your view is that they are both just average?

I know TTPFL is not highly rated at all, but didn’t Natty top score in the league last year as a teenager, I don’t find anything average about that.
The Grenada game still on YouTube, go back and look at what Gill did to strongman Gabriel, who Levi couldn’t get past…and Levi is our most highly rated player.

But yuh know what, don’t even bother with what I said, we just have different opinions on them two little fellas, and I feel that’s cool👍🏾

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #179 on: June 08, 2024, 01:53:16 AM »
Grenada coach Shalrie Joseph disappointed with Soca Warriors draw.
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday),

GRENADA men's football team coach Shalrie Joseph expressed disappointment after his team blew a two-goal lead against TT in their 2026 Fifa World Cup qualifier which ended in a 2-2 draw at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo on June 5.

The visiting Grenada team jumped out to a 2-0 lead after 28 minutes thanks to a double from their sturdy Stockport County FC midfielder Myles Hippolyte.

Joseph's team missed a great opportunity to possibly put the game to bed in the first half, though, when Dutch-based winger Darius Johnson was denied from point-blank range by custodian Denzil Smith in the 41st minute after breaching the Soca Warriors' defence with ease.

Grenada looked in cruise control, but Soca Warriors attacker Ryan Telfer pulled back a goal in the 43rd minute, before turning provider for Reon Moore's clinical equaliser in the second half.

"I'm a little bit disappointed. I thought we had the game in hand. I thought we did really well on both sides of the ball," Joseph said, at the post-match conference. "Unfortunately, we gave up two goals."

Joseph, a former Grenada international and Major League Soccer player, said his defenders lacked game awareness by giving their opponents life so close to the halftime interval.

"You have to give (TT) credit. They kept pushing. It was an open wide game. And I want to give both countries credit for a fun, attacking football game."

Joseph, who had a previous coaching stint with Grenada from 2018-2020, said he urged his team to have a killer mindset for the clash with their Caribbean neighbours.

"Nothing surprised me about the way we played in the first half. We wanted to be aggressive. Even though we were on the road, it's my mentality and it's the mentality of the team and to the country. It's something we try to instill in those players.

"I thought we had a height advantage and physically I thought we could dominate the ball."

Grenada certainly showed superior physicality for most of the contest, and they constantly disrupted the Soca Warriors' midfield play – even forcing opposing coach Angus Eve into a reshuffle at the half.

"Our mentality is they have to play through us or they will go long. I didn't believe they had the quality in midfield to play through us and we did a great job of keeping it compact and keeping it tight, and not allowing them to play through midfield," Joseph said. "And once you start doing that, then you know they will have to go long."

Joseph said willpower and determination were key to his team's performance on enemy territory. And though, he's not totally pleased with a point, it will suffice for now.

"It's a huge point on the road and being against one of the best countries in the Caribbean — probably ranked second in my eyes behind Jamaica. For Grenada, where we're ranked by Fifa (174th), it's huge for us and our players and what we have been able to achieve."

On June 9, Grenada will host group B favourites Costa Rica at the Kirani James National Stadium.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>