September 20, 2024, 09:22:03 PM

Author Topic: Paris 2024  (Read 8101 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Paris 2024
« on: June 27, 2024, 02:02:23 PM »
Athing Mu out

Elaine Thompson out due to achilles tear.

Who next ?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 02:04:16 PM by Deeks »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Paris 2024
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2024, 08:30:04 PM »
Miller-Uibo

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2024, 08:42:43 PM »
Wow. I can't believe how badly TT track and field has fallen. No sub 10s or sub 11s. I think only 5 athletes made the standard to compete in Paris.

What got me was seeing Tyra Gittens as the lone competitor in her event. Meanwhile we have over 30 women competing in the 100m and only 1 made the standard. This is where we need better coaching to identify athletes who might be better in another event instead of the event they "like". Many athletes in Jamaica choose running at a young age. But they have coaches who are smart enough to direct them into other events that leverage the athlete's skills properly. The 100m for the men and women are too saturated with athletes who can barely get close to a regional games standard. Take them athletes and train them for 400mh, 100mh, 110mh, long jump, etc. This is where we got to start.

Also the men's 4x100 team will not be in Paris competing.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2024, 09:25:06 AM »
The conditions weren't the best on Saturday but that's the only thing. Our local athletes need help to get up to par.

We do have some promising young talent but it seems as if they have to go to the US or Jamaica to be successful.

Where was Michelle LA?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2024, 02:54:03 PM »
2028 LA

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2024, 06:35:08 PM »
Janae Degannes
Chinapoo brothers
Dylan Woodruff
Natasha Fox
Dorian Charles
Lisa Ariana Raye - someone to keep an eye on

Again we have all the stars mainly in the 100m and 200m. This is where we need the right coaching to direct the other 100m and 200m athletes into other events. If someone like Janae Degannes tries the 400mh, she might do very well because of her 400m and long jump performances.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2024, 04:24:12 PM »
Lisa Raye and her sister Xenia Raye were very impressive and they came out of no where. They weren't at Carifta Trials.

Great point about Janae de Gannes I reckon she could do well in the 400m hurdles and she is a very versatile athlete as is.

What happened to our women sprinters? Just a couple years ago we had 3-4 heats then A and B final in the 100m. Saturday was just a final..

Notable absences for this year and for some the past few years:
Michelle Lee Ahye
Zakiya Denoon
Kayelle Clarke
Shaniqua Bascombe
Khalifa St Fort
Jenea Spinks
Ayla Stanisclaus
Kamaria Durant
Mauricia Prieto

To name a few. Sad
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 04:31:18 PM by Trini1 »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2024, 07:44:11 PM »
@trini 1

3 or 4 years ago those women were all running decent times. Now they are no where in sight.

Jenae Spinx looked like a very promising athlete. She graduated from University and that was it.

Khalifa St Fort is another one. Her career evaporated after leaving Ato.

Again, the plan should be to direct all the average 100m and 200m runners into other events. Put the focus on the ones that do well. Direct the underachievers in the 100m and 200m into other events
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 07:09:13 AM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2024, 09:51:39 AM »
That's what I mean @gawd on pitch

Where are they? Our women's sprinting was promising but that has been wiped out. It's sad.

Definitely agree with diversification- we need athletes to step away from the sprints and try different events but we also need coaches who can recognize this and train athletes accordingly. We need a Stephen Francis type coach in Trinidad.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2024, 07:29:51 AM »
Yes Trini. Us posters on here can see the gaps the TF program. You would think that someone in TT Track and field would see it by now.

Tobago is further ahead in development than Trinidad. And they have less to work with.

I just seen the athletic team named for Paris. Wow. That team looking THIN. I counted 12 athletes. London 2012 we had over 25 athletes for Track. Our success in London is to blame for this downward spiral. You see, after winning 4 medals in London, them jokers in the TTNAAA thought that the success of London was due to their "development" ideas and programs. But the reality is that our success was due to having many athletes in NCAA. So what did those clowns in thr TTNAAA do? NOTHING. They figured that they should continue as is. Fast forward to 2016 when all them athletes were in the twilight of their careers, no plans were put into place to recreate the success of 2012. Instead initiatives like "10 gold by 2024", which was just lip service, were introduced. Where is 10 gold by 2024 now? We can't even send 10 athletes for individual events.

Another thing, I find that many of the women athletes retired quite early compared to the Jamaican women. Darrel Brown made the 100m men's national final at 39 years old. Regardless of how his career ended, that spirit to keep coming back after an injury plagued career, is the type of spirit our athletes and administration needs.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2024, 09:28:43 PM »
No Tyra Gittens? What is her status now? It's hard for me to find anything on her.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2024, 08:17:25 PM »
Gawd on pitch yeah if we keep doing the same thing expecting different results then you know what it is.

We need a revamp...12 athletes we're sending. So much for 10 gold 24. Like you say our medal winning professional athletes have gone through the NCAA system with the exception of Jehue and Michelle Lee. For the time being we just have to grunt and bear it I guess.

Yeah our female athletes have short careers, Fana Ashby, Josanne Lucas etc. I guess starting families/other factors play a role.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2024, 08:18:20 PM »
Peong she was at trials but didn't qualify. Seems like it was a rough year for her.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2024, 07:58:01 AM »
Yeah Trini1. We got to accept it for now.

I think AB would agree that something as simple as diversifying our event pool would be a good start. For example, we have over 25 athletes competing in the men's 100m. But for long jump, triple jump and hurdles we have less than 6 competitors in each event. This is where good coaching and talent identification needs to come in. Those athletes who ain't running at least near 10.5 in the 100m, train them to jump, hurdle or whatever it is. Those same sub par athletes come out every year and perform well below the standard to qualify for a competition.

Track in Trinidad seems to mean only 100m and 200m. Tobago is thinking further ahead. Josanne 400mh medalist, Renny Quow 400m medalist and KAB 100m medalist. And Jenae Degannes looks like she will be following suit.

Another thing to look at is the transition from Junior to senior. It seems as if we fail miserably here. Our juniors who won u18 or u20s in a global competition never achieved consistent success on the senior level. Cedenio? J Gordon? Bellile? St Fort. . The list goes on.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 12:29:01 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2024, 12:54:29 PM »
It is painful >:( :( :-[ :frustrated: :banginghead:

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2024, 07:27:57 PM »
When the former head of your federation comes out and says something as DOTISH as "we are a sprinting nation" - why would anyone want to even attempt to prove him wrong?

During the Bolt era, Jamaicans weren't happy with "well enough" and turned to the field events. Watch where they are now - they could win probably 4-5 medals in those alone in Paris.

Slowly but surely, everyone is figuring out how bad this situation is....with nothing coming down the pipeline that is a sure bet, or close.

This is the BEGINNING of a long drought in the sport. The last one was 20 years.

Truth is, without Keshorn's last-ditch, last-day-of-the-games heave to get bronze, our last medals were 2012.

I saw someone posted "LA 2028" - that is exactly 4 years away from today.

Who ending the drought? I don't see anyone yet.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 07:29:31 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2024, 10:07:53 AM »
I saw someone posted "LA 2028" - that is exactly 4 years away from today.

I posted that because I know the long drought will end there. The list of athletes below Will end the drought  ;D. They have 4 years.

Janae Degannes
Chinapoo brothers
Sola and Sannah Federicks.
Dylan Woodruff
Natasha Fox
Dorian Charles
Lisa Ariana Raye - someone to keep an eye on. There is also a long distance and middle distance runners(don't have their names at the moment). We have to start now. The options are extremely limited.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2024, 10:42:35 AM »
AB, yuh call it from years now. I think a few of us on here had some hope. But hope don't win medals.

From 2009 to about 2014ish, TT was mentioned as being the team possibly fighting UK, or another nations, for a bronze/third in the relays (men's 4x100 and 4x400 and women's 4x100). As, the expectation was that gold or silver will be going to USA or JA. Now we are fighting to make a finals.. fighting to qualify and can't.

@ Deeks, every 3 or so years we have some standouts that come out of the woodworks. They tend to show a lot of promise. But only about 5% make it to the global stage. Here are some names that we all thought that were going to make an impact on the senior stage. Superb athletes, but they are not on a world class level, or not even running anymore:

John Mark Constantine
Adell Colthurst
Avindale Smith
Jenae Spinx
Shaniqua Bascombe

I thought that these two athletes (J Gordon, M Cedenio) were going to be medal contenders for years. But they both had short careers. Both were World Junior Champs. Khalifa St Fort's time was supposed to be now. . Just to put things into proper context Deeks. Let's hope that that list of athletes you have, gets whats needed to make them true medal contenders in 2028.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 11:00:49 AM by gawd on pitch »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2024, 07:10:07 PM »
If football is more your speed I can put it this way - another football world cup qualification looks how far in the future? Well, Olympic medals are WAY harder to get.

I see the list and I hope to God someone comes through the ranks, even someone not on that list - but I don't see anything looking remotely sure.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2024, 10:27:57 AM »
A.B. I understand your frustration. I wish You were in the mix, in terms of development and guidance. But I don't see that happening. But keep voicing your opinion whether we agree or not.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 12:50:01 PM by Deeks »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2024, 05:28:44 PM »
@Deeks AB tried to get in the mix many times. His ideas were too "radical" for the older heads still living in 1976. To those folks, the success of 2012 was due to their organization and efforts.. not the NCAA. So no need to get advice from AB . . or give our most decorated sprinter the opportunity to build a solid track and field program. Let's see what other silly gimmicks come out of the expected dismal performance (no disrespect to the current athletes) in Paris 2024. Last time was 10 gold by 2024. . Whats next, 10 world records by 2032

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2024, 04:19:56 PM »
@Deeks AB tried to get in the mix many times. His ideas were too "radical" for the older heads still living in 1976.

Well what ah go tell You! LA 2028!!!!!

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2024, 08:39:29 AM »
Huge PB by Jereem. 3rd in London 44.18. I think moves to 5th or 6th on the top list. He ran out of lane 8. Beat out Kirani 44.38 5th

Medal contender? I think he has a better chance of medalling in the 400m
« Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 08:41:15 AM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2024, 11:37:23 AM »
Congrats to Jereem.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2024, 07:21:50 AM »
Congrats Jereem! He is rounding into form. Definitely has a better shot at 400m.

200 I dont see anyone breaking up the US trio of Lyles, Bednarek and Knighton  Tebogo has a chance but we will see. Ogando has been running well this season too. De Grasse just dropped his first sub-20 recently and will be rounding into form. Jereem hasn't seen his 19.8 form for some time and it's going to take better than that to make the podium.

In the 400 Mathew Hudson Smith will be neck and neck with Quincy Hall. Matthew is confident and he has put on some muscle, he will be hard to beat. Steven Gardiner hasn't shown sub 44 form for the year but is a former champion and is on a winning streak so cant count him out. Norwood and Norman are the other two contenders. Cant rule out Doom from Belgium fresh off his European win. I think Jereem can sneak in a medal here but it wont be easy.

In the 200 dont be surprised if we see a 19.3 winning time Lyles has been working on that start of his. 19.4/19.5s will be making the podium. Jereem isn't ready to go there yet.

In the 400 43.74 and 43.8 are the fastest times this season then you have a host of 44 low. Tells us Jereem is in the mix. He has to be ready to run sub 44 which he is aware of per his comments.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 07:36:59 AM by Trini1 »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2024, 07:47:06 AM »
Yep Trini. I agree with all you said there. That 200m will produce a 19.3 or even 19.2. Lyles wants to break Bolts 200m Olympic record. He's not far from it.

Jereem is going to have to break the NT to medal. He ran out of lane 8 and produced a pb. I say Cedenio's record is going down. Jereem might be the sole medal winner.

Walcott is rounding into form and has increased his SB after each meet. He may surprise us.

MLA major disappointment. It sad because she had huge potential. Things went south for her career after the charges.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2024, 11:58:03 AM »
Well said GoP. Lyles is going hard and gunning for that WR I say it's not his time yet to break it.

Yeah that 44.01 is going this year. I hope Jereem can get that medal he has been our one consistent top performer.

Walcott is getting there too. Once a champ always a champ so who knows.

MLA one of my faves but an underachiever imho. She should have been way more than Commonwealth gold medalist. With that 11.5 in Guyana I dont expect much but she did run a solid second leg in the 4x1 at World
relays. Training in Trinidad has not given her the results. Jehue needs to release his secrets.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 11:59:39 AM by Trini1 »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2024, 01:01:03 PM »
Respect Trini1. MLA was in the mix with Elaine at one time. Maybe Bertrand might surprise us. She's on form, and not far from a sub 11.

I think training in Trinidad can only take you so far. Tobago might be different. Jehue is probably 1 out of dozens who found success from training at home. He's really giving back to develop track. Kudos to him for staying involved.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 01:02:41 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2024, 07:30:25 AM »
Yeah I'll never forget her 2014 season she was on fire beating Shelly Ann Fraser in the 100m at Glasgow DL only to get injured later on in the year. She had lost something after that. Leah has had a long season and she seems stuck between 11.1-11.2 at the moment. I think next year she may be able to break 11. Our athletes go to form if history serves as an indicator so I don't see anybody having a breakout Olympics. Hopefully I'm wrong. I'd be happy if she PRs which is running faster than 11.08.

Yeah rarely does anyone succeed at home. All we need is one camp that can produce world class athletes. The years of oil and gas money have faded, so this may not be plausible but has it ever been considered for our sports minister to pay good money for a clinic or training sessions/seminars given by Stephen Francis/Glen Mills/Reynaldo Walcott for a particular period where our local coaches can come and benefit from. Or if permitted to have our local coaches go to Jamaica to receive some sort of tutelage.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2024, 08:40:21 AM by Trini1 »

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2024, 10:51:46 PM »
Somebody said a 20 year drought for TT had A B decided to run for the U S A TT would have to wait till 2004 to win a medal in the Olympics AB inspired a whole generation of athletics and that was due to luck AB could have been selfish and say I could represent the U S A and make more money win more medals and win gold medals later for TT even the swimmer in 2004 was born in Canada TT is now depending on Trinbagonians from the diaspora to save face once the colonial powers left TT the Barjons take over Trinidad anything that the black people took over is all gone down the drain once Don Basil Mathews left TT any chance of TT becoming a football country and top team in the Concacaf left with him these idiots was just  riding off his coat tail.

1]; } ?>