Sat, May
31 New Articles


Central FC touched the ground running, so to speak, by winning its opening Digicel Pro League last Friday against Police FC at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium in Round One Match Day Two.

However team captain and Trinidad and Tobago 2006 World Cup member Anthony Wolfe expects tougher games ahead.

“I think we did relatively ok,” he told on Friday night. “We were very eager to go out on the park and give a good performance.

The guys are really glad that we came away with three points [in our first League game] but we can’t become complacent now, because we have tougher teams coming up,” predicted the former North East Stars, Ma Pau SC and San Juan Jabloteh attacker.

Central will take the field again on Saturday from 5pm against T&TEC FC at the Larry Gomes Stadium in Round One Match Day Three, and still has a match in hand against defending League champions DIRECTV W Connection.

Wolfe who converted from the penalty spot following a handball in the area by Police defender Errol Charles expressed personal satisfaction in scoring the club’s first competitive goal.

He said, “I feel happy in myself. The players have a lot of confidence in me. I’m the captain of the team and I had to lead by example.”

Meantime Head Coach, Englishman Graham Rix absorbed feeling of victory.

The former Chelsea assistant coach said, “I’m obviously delighted with the win. It’s our first League game and we have been working really hard and I think it showed.

“The lads kept going right till the end. It was a tough game. Police are very strong and a very powerful team and they make it difficult for you.

“But I have to say that some of our football tonight was really exciting,” added the former England and Arsenal footballer. “Good stuff. And to be honest, Anthony Wolfe could have easily had three or four goals. The keeper (Emmanuel Nurse) made some good blocks from him but I’m really delighted.

I’m really pleased with the boys because they have really worked hard the last two and a half months, three months. I think overall, by some of the football we played, we deserved [the victory].”

Round One Match Day Three kicks off on Friday 26 October with a double header at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. St. Ann’s Rangers will take on W Connection from 7pm and Caledonia AIA against rivals Defence Force from 9pm.

And on Saturday, following the contest between Central FC and T&TEC FC at the Larry Gomes Stadium, leaders North East Stars will host Police FC from 7pm.