Sat, Jun
44 New Articles

NATIONAL Quarries North East Stars put up a dogged display against CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh to take a well-earned 2-1 win in a T&T Pro League round 13 match at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo yesterday.

Although the early play was evenly distributed, making for some exciting exchanges, Stars, the defending champions, got the opening goal, as Jabloteh custodian Durance Williams failed to properly handle Kern Thomas’ 26th-minute freekick. The rebound fell to Jerren Nixon who had the easy task of putting the ball into an open goal from just inside the six- yard box.

As expected, Jabloteh, winner in 2002, 2003, pressed for the equaliser, while Stars were spurred on by their quatro and drum rhythm section set up within earshot of their bench.

Stars were content to keep possesion much to the frustration of their opponents.

And in the 37th minute Jabloteh’s Cyd Gray put in a wayward tackle on Nixon, receiving a yellow card for his indiscretion.

Devon Mitchell followed with a heavy tackle on Stars’ Anthony Wolfe and was shoiwn the yellow card.

Almost immediately after the resumption, Wolfe broke free down the centre of the pitch and was fouled by Williams him just inside the area.

Nixon calmly put in his second goal.

The Jabloteh players got reward for their endeavours in the 64th minute, as Josh Johnson latched on to a perfectly weighed cross from Aurtis Whitley, but this was all the team could produce.

Stars had survived their toughest test in the 2005 competition to date.

Caledonia AIA/Fire lay waste to United Petrotrin, winning their match at the Larry Gomes Stadium in Malabar, winning 3-0 with goals from Alvis Faure (44th minuyte), Abdallah Phillips (74th) and Handell Manswell (75th).

The W Connection versus Tobago United match had to be postponed as Connection’s 9 am flight to the sister isle was delayed. The team had not boarded an aircraft by 3.30pm, at which time it was decided that the match would be rescheduled for midweek.