Sun, Jul


Andre Toussaint’s first half equaliser put the blink/ bmobile National Super League semi-final down to the wire as WASA and bmobile Joe Public took to the penalty spot, which Joe Public eventually won in sudden death.

The match was played at WASA Ground, St Joseph, with WASA striking first with an effort from Fabian Garcia in the 15th minute. Toussaint replied in the 32nd minute and he slotted home from a fine cross from an impressive Julian Landeau.

Toussaint, along with three other players, Carlyle Mitchell, Hayden Tinto and Marvin Phillip, were in action in T&T’s 3-0 friendly win over India on Sunday and joined the Super League side from the T&T Pro League team which will not be a part of the agenda for the upcoming season beginning on September 9. They were also in action for the knock-out fixture.

Joe Public enjoyed the majority of possession and shots through the match and saw several openings which would have been put away if not for an overly waterlogged WASA pitch.

Going straight to penalties after the final whistle blew, Joe Public’s Jamel Lewis was the first to step up. He finished easily. WASA FC’s goalscorer Garcia was the first to attempt for the waterboys and also finished clinically. Mitchell missed his attempt for Joe Public as did Donovan Derrick with the fifth.

Shane Calderon and Akil Harley missed their two opportunities for WASA. Ellis Dyett and Toussaint scored their penalties for Joe Public as did Darin Lewis and Kerry Noray. Dion Peters had the final sudden death attempt which he scored. It was then up to Shevon Charles to keep WASA in the match, but he missed from the spot.

With the win, Joe Public set up a date with Stokely Vale, which were also in action on Wednesday, defeating Club Sando with conviction; 3-1. Playing at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella, Club Sando took an early, surprise lead within 14 minutes when top scorer Andy London found the target.

His effort was cancelled out in the 18th minute by a Michael Carrington goal. Stokely Vale left it late in the second half but were, in the end, comfortable winners when Deon Thomas got the second goal in the 79th and Onasi Forde, the final effort in injury time.

Stokely Vale and WASA’s final match will be played at a date and time yet to be determined due to the  state of emergency and subsequent imposed curfew.