Fri, Nov


Dr. Terrence Babwah, doctor for the T&T football team has resigned along with his assistant, medic Dave Isaac. Babwah delivered his resignation letter to the T&T Football Association on Saturday outlining the reasons for his decision, which hinged on a decision by national coach Stephen Hart to use injured goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams in the Honduras World Cup Qualifying match in San Pedro Sula on Tuesday last.

The David John-Williams-led football association has since called a special meeting tomorrow evening at its office at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo to address Babwah’s resignation and other issues regarding the senior men’s football team, the Trinidad Guardian was told by a close source yesterday.

When contacted on his decision yesterday Dr Babwah, who has been a member of the FIFA Medical Panel since 2002 confirmed his resignation, but said he has no further comment to make at this point.

It is understood Babwah, who has become a favourite with the football fraternity because of his expertise on injuries, had strongly recommended that keeper Williams not play in the Honduras encounter because he was medically unfit.

A member close to the TTFA told the Trinidad Guardian that the custodian picked up a severe shoulder injury in the Costa Rica match at the stadium two weeks ago, and was unable to raise his left hand or dive on his left side.

According to the source, “There was hardly any movement in William’s left hand and he therefore it could not be extended it and furthermore, play in the game.”

As a result the goalkeeper specifically did light work in the training sessions leading up to the Honduras game and even had to be given medication to treat with pains.

Hart, it is understood, asked the goalie if he could play and he said yes, disregarding concerns expressed by the medical team of Babwah and Isaac.

In Tuesday’s encounter Jan-Michael had to be taken off after being forced into a one-on-one situation with striker Alberth Elis in the 10th minute and received a knee to his head.

A report stated he was knocked unconscious for about seven minutes and had to undergo a CT scan that fortunately showed no bleeding on the brain.

Jan Michael of local pro club Central FC, was replaced by substitute Marvin Phillip but T&T lost the game 1-3, a result that puts them second from bottom on the standing in the Final Round.

It is understood Babwah’s resignation came because he felt disrespected, as his reputation had been put on the line as a team doctor.

“He felt that his advice was not listened to as a doctor while the advice of someone who is not a doctor, was taken ahead of his” the source said. Efforts to contact John-Williams yesterday proved futile.