Sidebar

06
Fri, Dec

Typography

It is my resounding belief that we only place these these two bigger names, Samuel and Zamora, hereinafter, Sam and Zam, for intimidation purposes.

I do not believe that Sam and Zam can impact out T&T team in any way save for the effect that their club names projects. They can never put out that kind of heart and commitment required. They were men that once turned us down before, when they were in their better playing days, only now to accept and give token alms when their steams and means have varnished almost totally.

To my surprise, I see Latapy accepting this handout with a sense of readiness when only some weeks ago he was himself caught saying that "the problem with our team is that we have too many old men on the side". Yet we see him getting match fit for the upcoming events by playing local soccer with Caledonia, worried that Dwight may be absent altogether, and now indicating that Bobby and Jlloyd are key answers. Let us not forget older players as with Lawrenece (who I still like very much), Marvin "Dog" Andrews, (whose commitment to his country and additional spiritual loyalties I have always acknowledged) and Stern (who I have lost complete faith in to die to self and live for country).

What of Russell's allegiance to the younger and much deserving and dedicated players that have been in the sorjourns of this national team over the past three-to-several years when under Maturana, then when under Maturana and himself, and now, under himself? How could he answer to these dictates? Jam Sam and Zam - bench-time and maybe, off the team altogether. Sam is probably worth more consideration of the two for the dual reasons of, the position he plays and his real-roots connections. These two men cannot bring the type of energy and conviction for what is needed in especially, the two up-coming games, with game one, against El Salvador first and foremost.

Let's see when we last tried to recruit Bobby and Jlloyd before this time - here is a recent disclosure to that effect - "During the 2006 FIFA World Cup campaign, both Samuel and Zamora then with Premiership clubs, Aston Villa and West Ham United respectively were targeted by former Trinidad and Tobago coach, Dutchman Leo Beenhakker as possible additions to the Soca Warriors World Cup squad. But in the end, the request for the players were denied by FIFA after they informed the TTFF that Zamora, whose father was born in Carenage, did not qualify to play for Trinidad and Tobago, having represented England at Under-18 and Under-21 level while Samuel was also turned down for similar reasons." "It was further explained that Samuel like Zamora did not utilised the one-year window given by FIFA when a reversal of their status could have been possible. Since then both players have not represented England at senior level and may finally get a chance to play for the Soca Warriors during the 2010 Concacaf World Cup qualifiers".

Today, it is possible for persons to play for another country once thay have not played for the full national team - "This after a decision was made by Fifa at its 59th Congress in Nassau, Bahamas, on Wednesday to remove the age limit on players changing national teams. Under established rules players with dual nationality, who had already played for a country’s national team at youth level, were only allowed to switch loyalties at the age of 21 during a one-year window. But the motion removing the age limit was approved by 58 per cent of the congress, while the other 42 per cent voted against it. However, the rule change does not affect any player who has played for the full national team as they are barred from switching nations."

Let's look at Zam's stats as a marksman since he entered the top flight of FA's football - 183 games and 32 goals (1 every 6 games almost). What's worse is that his guns have fired better in the past. Here's his last 6 seasons' stats - 2003-04 with Tottenham and Westham 33 games (16 and 17 respectively) and 0 goals with Hotspurs and 5 after being transfered to Westham; the 04-05 season with Westham shows that he scored 7 goals in 34 games; 05-06 with Westham, 6 goals in 36 games, 06-07 with Westham, 11 gaoals in 32 games; 07-08 with Westham, 1 goal in 13 games; and 08-09 with Westham, 2 goals in 35 games.

So, his is where we are? And I ask, do Sam and especially, Zam, have what it takes and what we need? Like I say, Jam Sam Zam! Be sure however, to enlist and play people like Cornell Glen and Andre Toussaint, especially in home games, even though I totally like how "Sweetness" looked against the Red Bulls in New York scoring two scandalous beauties.