For the first time in local football, money will not be a problem, but it's unsure what the structure of the country's top two Leagues will be like.
A tripartite committee comprising Julia Baptiste, the T&T Pro League representative, Keith Look Loy (T&T Super League) and Richard Piper, who represents the T&T Football Association was chosen on January 28, to chart the way forward for the two leagues based on a proposal from UEFA and CONCACAF teams last week.
The committee met for the first time on Thursday last at the T&T Olympic House in Port-of-Spain and its first assignment was to decide on whether a suggestion by the football bodies (UEFA/CONCACAF) to have one management team, under the governance of the parent TTFA, to run the affairs of the country's tier one and two competitions was feasible.
The committee is expected to submit a team that comprises a marketing team, competitions committee and a secretary to manage both tournaments, which is believed will help in ensuring the promotion and demotion of teams, as recommended.
Yesterday Baptiste said her team went through the proposals by the UEFA/CONCACAF, and a decision will only be reached after consultation with their respective members. Guardian Media Sports was informed by a reliable source that the one management team for both leagues is set to be shut down, as both the TTSL and TT Pro League want to maintain its identities and run its own competitions.
Another main contention is determining the composition of the domestic leagues. The UEFA/CONCACAF suggestion is to have 10 teams in a tier one tournament and 12 in tier two. But this would mean omitting more than half the TTSL teams, which is a cause of concern among clubs.
Baptiste said if there is a suggestion for more clubs to the competitions, then it will mean less money for participating teams as they have to share all monies given equally.
The only thing the Leagues (T&T Pro League and T&T Super League) members are sure about is that the money to run the tournaments is guaranteed.
It is understood the government has already agreed to honour UEFA/CONCACAF's proposal of a US$1 million amount to put football on stable footing, by committing $3.8 million to the cause. The rest is to be received by the FIFA Forward Programme which will come through the football association.
The committee is set to meet for a second time on February 8.
Meanwhile, the TTSL held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the Queen's Park Oval yesterday to discuss the 2018 season, and plans for 2019. Some ideas for the coming season had to put on hold until all stakeholders agree on a way forward.
Guardian Media Sports was informed that clubs, disgruntled by the management of its president Look Loy, are awaiting a date of an Extraordinary General Meeting to remove him. A few days ago some clubs signed a petition and wrote to the TTSL secretariat asking for a meeting to remove Look Loy as their representative on the Board of the TTFA, as they believe he has not been representing the interests of the League.