CHIEF EXECUTIVE Officer (CEO) of North East Stars, Brent Sancho says he is extremely disappointed with his team’s start to the 2011-2012 Pro League season.
With three defeats from as many matches, the 2004 Pro League champions have already been eliminated from one competition and are bottom of the league standings.
The Sangre Grande-based team were shocked 2-1 by debutants TTEC in their opening league match and were knocked out of the First Citizens Cup with two consecutive defeats.
W Connection hammered them 4-1 before Caledonia AIA put the final nail in their coffin on Friday with a 2-0 shut out to send them crashing out the Cup.
“Football is an up and down thing. We didn’t start the season right and it is disappointing considering the high goals we set. It’s back to the drawing board,” he declared.
Sancho had earlier stated his team was targetting a top two finish and at least two trophies. They would need to improve drastically, however, to realise those dreams.
The former national player is keeping faith with his newly assembled team which includes TT’s all-time goal scorer Stern John, national defender Seon Power, Anthony Wolfe and Guyana captain Charles Pollard.
“I won’t say gelling is the problem. We do have good players on the roster and it’s just about finding the right combination,” he explained.
He called on the players to bounce back quickly in their next league match against Caledonia AIA tomorrow at the Marvin Lee Stadium, Macoya.
“We definitely don’t want two defeats in the league. I’m extremely disappointed. As a player and even in management now I want to win all the competitions I am in. What mistakes we made we will try to correct it,” he said.
The ex-“Soca Warriors” defender, unsurprisingly, believes being more stingy at the back is the remedy for coming out their slump.
“We have to be a tough team to beat. Giving away eight goals in three games is poor. The first thing is to start playing good defence,” he said.