Fri, Feb

Keith Look Loy, left, president of the T&T Super League addresses the media while flanked by Northern Football Association general secretary, former national youth goalkeeper Rayshawn Mars, right, and then Women’s League of Football (WoLF) president Susan Joseph-Warrick at Normandie Hotel, St Ann's, in June 2019. Jospeh-Warrick resigned as WoLF president and as TTFA second vice president in November 2019.  Photo: ANTHONY HARRIS

The membership of the Northern Football Association (NFA) is demanding that the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and Election of Officers, which have been postponed earlier this year, due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, be held and a new executive is elected to manage their affairs.

Guardian Media Sports was informed on Monday by an associate who is involved with the developments that a petition was signed by 14 out of the 19 First Division clubs, was delivered to the executive early last month calling for an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) to decide on the way forward for the association if the AGM is not called.

Anthony Harford, who was president at the time, resigned last month saying that the sport in T&T had been at the end of a severe beating and he could no longer stand the blows. However, he promised to honour protocol and be at the AGM when it is called, to hand over to his successor.

Rashawn Mars, the association's secretary, in the absence of the president, was given the responsibility of convening the AGM but has refused to call it.

Among, the 14 clubs calling for an AGM or EGM are — Combine FC, Harvard Sports and Cultural Club, Morvant Elements, Miscellaneous Laventille, RSSR, Petit Valley, Patna River Estate FC, St Francois, Trendsetter Hawks, Seekers FC, Frontline FC and Belmont FC among others.

However, four clubs, Cultural Roots, Malvern, Cantaro FC and North Coast, did not sign the petition.

The members are demanding answers as to why there were no prize monies for the past three years, even though there was a sponsor, and why did clubs have to pay registration if that amount was taken care of.

Harford in his resignation letter, admit that prize monies for 2019 were not paid, and said: "I will discuss any matters outstanding and look forward to a smooth transition. These matters were not discussed earlier because the architect of the change taking place in the NFA, did not show up for planned meetings with the executive.”

Trendsetter Hawks coach Anthony Wickham who is better known as 'Dada' said there has been growing discontent within the NFA and the AGM but said he was given an assurance that an executive meeting, which was originally scheduled for last weekend, will be held this coming weekend and it will be used to decide on a date for the AGM.

'Dada' who is known around the country for his talent in coaching football, noted that he will not express further until the executive meeting is held. He confirmed however that prize monies for last year were not paid out.

Contacted Mars said his executive cannot call any meeting because of the COVID-19 lockdown, and gave the assurance that once the restrictions are lifted the AGM will be called.

"This was communicated to the members over a month ago. Holding an AGM requires a lot of people and because there is a 15-person limit given by the government due to the coronavirus. We are unable to do it. I don't know why they are forcing something that cannot happen."

Mars, who said he was confused by the petition, explained that the AGM had been called since September 2 but the lockdown forced its postponement.

He described the NFA as one of the most organised associations in T&T football, saying any member interested in finding out about the finances of the association can come into his office and see for themselves.

Mars called on his members to read the constitution of the NFA and understand it, saying all their concerns will be alleviated if this happens.

SOURCE: T&T Guardian