President of the T&T Football Association David John-Williams said upon his election into office he offered current President of the Super League – Keith Look Loy, – the opportunity to serve as part of his executive when he won the TTFA elections in November 2015,” I called Keith Look Loy, and asked him to be part of my executive very early on and he told me no, and that if he was offered a chance to work in the kitchen for the TTFA, he would not accept.”
John-Williams made the statement during an interview on i95.5FM on Saturday night while speaking Andre E Baptiste on his Isports programme, about the state of football in the country and addressing concerns during his three and a half year term so far.
He said, "When we came into power, we inherited over $21 million TT in debt, which we found after the audited accounts were finally done for prior years to our appointment, and as we speak we have since done audited accounts for 2016 and 2017 both completed and now undertaking 2018,”
He said, "Just last week, we received another claim for work done prior to being elected to office and again I nor the Board had no prior information. There's also another claim we are dealing with for over $15 million which was signed off by a previous president of the Football Federation. There are a lot of fires that we are having to out before we even start.”
“However, I am not about giving up, we have a task ahead to put T&T Football back in order in terms of finances, that is why the Home of Football is extremely important in that regard, as a revenue earning centre and we expect to open this facility by the end of May," explained John-Willaims.
John-Williams also responded to a judgment won by Look Loy related to the – Home of Football saying, “We will ensure that the judgment that was handed down will be fulfilled and the stated information passed on to Keith Look Loy, we are not certain, why this matter reached all the way to the courts, because a lot of what was asked for, we have revealed in our meetings last year with a document on the home of football listing all the matters, but we have no problem with showing the required information, as we are very confident in all our processes.”
With reference to the freezing of the TTFA Bank Account following a ruling of the Courts, John-Williams said, "This again was incurred prior to our appointment and if one looks at the information, there is no documentation, a lot of the information is word of mouth, in terms of contracts and commitments, but we have appealed that and it will be heard on April 4th.”
John-Williams, the former owner of local pro club W Connection, stated, that 95% of the cases brought against the TTFA at present are related to matters prior to 2016, and in a lot of cases, we just did not have the money, or could not find records or figures to substantiate the claims, and we have to ensure that all documentation is in place, so we have to be vigilant in this regard.”
With all that, the TTFA has faced and with regards, all the blame placed on his, John-Williams expressed caution about whether he would seek another term in office when his first term ends in November. He said, "I have not made up my mind as yet, let us wait and see. I have a job to do and I always complete any task that I am given and I love football.”
“Looking ahead to the Gold Cup in June, we have some other warm-up matches coming up and that will assist Dennis and the team, it was a good fighting performance against Wales given all that is going on, but I believe like the rest of the Board that Dennis is the man to lead us in football, that is why we agreed to renew his contract, there were persons that wanted certain information to be made public but Dennis came and gave his strong thoughts and fair opinion and all was settled in that regard. Members of the public are calling on the TTFA to stage matches in here, but we have no money for that. , We travel abroad because our expenses are picked up by the hosting country. That's the main reason we play outside of T&T.”