Sat, Feb
30 New Articles


Leading goalscorer Richard Roy registered a first half double on Tuesday night at the Hasely Crawford Stadium paving the way for a comfortable 4-1 Defence Force win over St. Ann’s Rangers in a rescheduled Round One Match Day Six clash of the Digicel Pro League Championship.

And in another rescheduled Round One Match Day Six clash on Tuesday, DIRECTV North East Stars were held to a goalless draw against Police FC at the Larry Gomes Stadium.

Roy took his tally to 12 goals in the Championship with items in the 12th and 25th minutes and winger Kevon Carter made it 3-0 at the 40th minute.

Rangers’ attacker Devon Modeste pulled a goal back in the 48th minute but was unable to help his side avoid another crushing defeat—remembering Round Two’s 1-3 result against the Soldiers.

Ross Russell Jr. added Defence Force’s fourth item on Tuesday night, finding the back of the net in the 82nd minute for the comfortable 4-1 result.

The Ross Russell coached outfit jumped one spot up the ladder into fourth with 25 points, seven points behind leaders T&TEC FC (32 points) and separated by second positioned W Connection (30 points) and third positioned Caledonia AIA (29 points).

And in the bottom of the table clash between Stars and Police, poor finishing ruled as both teams settled for a point each—nothing compared to the Round Two battle which saw Stars pull off a 3-2 comeback win after conceding a pair of first half goals.

Double goalscorer Jean-Luc Rochford, currently with the T&T Olympic Team, wasn’t present on Tuesday, however Brazilian striker Jeronimo Wendes De Sousa coming off three goals in three matches had an excellent opportunity in the 11th minute but spilled wide of the far post from just inside the area.

Teammate Ryan Stewart who scored the winner in Round Two shaved the top of the net in the 20th minute with a freekick some 23 yards out.

In the 32nd minute Gary Glasgow headed wide of the Police goal with a diving attempt off a well placed De Sousa cross from the left. And five minutes from the break De Sousa again failed to find the back of the net denied by the legs of Marshall with only the Police goalie to beat.

Following the break Marshall made easy of a decent effort from distance by Anthony Wolfe in the 62nd minute and pulled off an excellent save in the 69th minute rooting out a half volley from distance by Seon Power after punching out a crossball.

Stars orchestrated a wonderful buildup in the 72nd minute and after finding himself behind the Police defense, midfielder Stewart, who had a free kick wide of the upright early inside the second period, hammered wide of the far post to the disappointment of many.


North East Stars—Andrew Durant, Charles Pollard (capt.), Jeronimo Wendes De Sousa, Kayode McKinnon, Kendal Velox (Neil Mitchell 56th), Seon Power (Yellow Card), Keion Goodridge (Yellow Card), Gary Glasgow (Nathan Regis 63rd), Anthony Wolfe (Marcus Gomez 80th), Ryan Stewart, Kern Navarro

Coach—Emerson Alcantara

Police FC—Anthony Marshall, Todd Ryan (capt.) (Anton Hutchinson 60th), Dexter Alleyne (Jason Boodram 63rd), Errol Mc Farlane (Yellow Card), Kareem Young (Kheon Archie 90th), Errol Charles, Trent Noel, Akiba Peters, Jevon Morris, Noel Williams, Weslie John

Coach—Kelvin Jones