Tue, Jun


Super League champs FC Santa Rosa got their 2017 campaign going with a victory over Cunupia FC 2-1 on Sunday at the Larry Gomes Stadium in Malabar, Arima, but will give way to 2015 winners Defence Force and Guaya United for the top on the standings to date in League 1, though it’s still early days.

Santa Rosa, coached by former national coach Keith Look Loy, took the lead after just five minutes when Kieron Charles fired into the back of the net for the early advantage.

But the men from Central Trinidad got the equaliser when the multi-talented Gorean Highley found the net in the 83rd minute. The celebrations were hardly finished when Santa Rosa stole the win when striker Nathan Julien scored in the 83rd minute to hand his team maximum points.

At the Guayaguayare Recreation Ground the home team sent an early warning to their counterparts by whipping Club Sando Moruga 3-1 and take the top spot on the table along with the Army Coast-Guard combination with a better goal difference to Santa Rosa and the University of T&T, courtesy a double strike by Glenton Wolfe.

However it was the visitors who took the lead through Morgan in the 27th minute which they enjoyed until the interval. Afterwards the Guaya men fired in three unanswered goals for the win.

The Army outfit also clobbered Siparia Spurs 3-1 at the Hasely Crawford Training Field from a brace from Tirek George in the 38th and 40th and another goal by his name-sake Jaamal George in the 23rd. The Spurs lone strike came from the boot of Andy London in the 68th minute.

In other games UTT got goals from Kevaughn Connell in the 13th and 31st to edge WASA 2-1 and Bethel pipped Queen’s Park CC 1-0 from Denyse James goal in the 29th minute.


Santa Rosa edge Cunupia in Super League opener.
T&T Newsday Reports.

FC SANTA Rosa kicked off their defence of the Super League title on Sunday with a narrow 2-1 win over Cunupia FC, on the opening day of the 2017 season.

This was a meeting of the 2016 Premiership winners (Santa Rosa) against the 2016 Championship winners (Cunupia).

Santa Rosa got full points in this encounter at the Larry Gomes Stadium in Arima, courtesy of goals from Keron Clarke in the fifth minute and Nathan Julien in the 63rd. Gorean Highley got the consolation strike for Cunupia, who wasted several chances, in the 83rd.

Defence Force got a pair of goals from Tirek George as they defeated Siparia Spurs 3-1 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium Training Field in Mucurapo.

Jamaal George put Defence Force ahead in the 23rd while Tirek George notched a pair, in the 38th and 40th. Andy London pulled one back for Siparia in the 68th but Defence Force held on for the win.

There was another 3-1 result, in favour of Guaya FC over Club Sando Moruga, at the Guayaguayare Recreation Ground.

Kyle Morgan gave Club Sando Moruga a 27th minute lead, before Carlon Hughes equalised in the 64th.

Defender Glenton Wolfe, who joined Guaya from North East Stars during the off-season, converted two penalties, in the 77th and 89th.

Densyl James scored in the 29th as Bethel United edged Queen’s Park 1-0 at the Mt Gomery Recreation Ground while UTT edged WASA 2-1 at the O’Meara Campus Ground in Arima.

Kevaughn Connell netted twice for the hosts, in the 13th and 31st, while Kylon Gay (21st) replied for WASA.

And, at the Canaan/Bon Accord Recreation Ground, 1976 FC Phoenix battled to a 1-1 draw with Police. Che Richards scored for Phoenix in the 73rd but Real Dedier tied the scores three minutes later.

Round Two action is expected to be staged on June 18.