Thu, Jun


FC Santa Rosa’s Big Cannons, are well on course to successfully defend its League One crown in the T&T Super League after Sunday’s 2-0 triumph over WASA FC, coupled with Hydro Tech Guaya United’s goalless draw with Cunupia FC.

However they face their biggest challenge against Guaya later on in the league, which could determine the ultimate winner. Guaya’s tie with Cunupia has left them on 37 points and still on top on the standings by two points ahead of Santa Rosa 35, but the latter has a game in hand, a rescheduled encounter with Queen’s Park to be played at a date and venue to be announced.

Yesterday Guaya manager Jameson Rigues said there was no need to press the panic bottom as his team will meet Santa Rosa in one of the remaining six matches. “They will first have to beat us first. There are six matches to go and it is crucial for us to win those matches. Winning this title is important for us and all other teams, as it is the first time the league is being managed by the clubs” Rigues explained.

At the Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar on Sunday, Guaya failed to convert the many opportunities that came its way, while at the Arima Velodrome, the home team got two quick goals from Nathan Julien in the 12th minute and Keelon Mitchell a minute later, in securing maximum points and a clear sight on the silverware in the two-team race.

Cunupia’s tied saw them maintain third on the table with 27 points, but fourth Defence Force moved to 26 points by hammering Bethel FC 6-0 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo, courtesy a hat-trick by Aaron Lester in the 16th, 61st and 84th minute and other goals from Keston Williams (23rd), Michael Edwards (71st) and Christon Baptiste in the 76th minute.

At the Police Barracks in St James, Police got two goals from Dwight Elliot (43rd) and Akiba Peters in time added on (90+3), to defeat Club Sando Moruga 2-1 while UTT edged Siparia Spurs in a high-scoring affair 4-3 at the O’Meara Ground in Arima.

Kevaugh Connell (59th, 79th) and Dillon Batholomew (70th, 88th) got double strikes to hold off items by Spurs’ Sylvester Teesdale (62nd), Marcus Kelly (83rd) and Deon Collins (90th). Meanwhile at Canaan Bon Accord Recreation Ground, 1976 Phoenix thrashed Queen’s Park 3-0 to lift them to eighth.

Noel Williams scored twice in the 12th and 85th, and Andel Noray got the other in the 75th minute to assure them maximum points.