Wed, Jun

The Soca Warriors Online is sadden by the news that Defence Force midfielder Kevon Carter has passed away this morning after he suffered a massive heart-attack while in training with his Army unit.

The Soca Warriors Online is saddened to inform our readers that Defence Force midfielder Kevon Carter has passed away this morning after he suffered a massive heart-attack while in training with his Army coast-guard outfit.

Carter complained of chest pains after training at Macqueripe this morning and he was taken to the army’s medical department. Carter was subsequently driven to the Communist Hospital where he passed away.

Carter, 30, has been with Defence Force since graduating from Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive School.

He has played 31 times for his country and has scored 5 goals in the process. Carter, has been a member of the Trinidad and Tobago national senior team and, came through the T&T youth system. He made his T&T senior debut in March 2004 against Guyana and in 2008 he scored his first international goal versus Grenada.

In October 2010 the speedy right-winger broke his leg during a First Citizens Cup quarter-final match on against St Ann's Rangers at Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella, which ruled him out for almost a year. The culprit Elijah Belgrave was ejected by referee Neil Brizan and had to face disciplinary action by the league's board.

The 2004 Pro League top goalscorer has two daughters aged 10 and three respectively.

Details of the incident has not yet been disclosed and a official report will be released in due course.

The Soca Warriors Online (SWO) would like to extend our deepest condolences to Kevon's family, friends and team-mates.

Defence Force winger Kevon Carter dies during training.

Trinidad and Tobago and Defence Force footballer Kevon Carter has died after complains of chest pains.

The 30-year-old winger collapsed during Friday morning’s training session at the Defence Force’s Macqueripe Base Volunteers Ground before being rushed to the Community Hospital of Seventh-Day Adventists in St. James. But was pronounced dead before receiving treatment at the CHSDA according to unconfirmed details.

The incident is said to have happened between 9.15 and 9.30 am during the training session, which began 8.30 am.

“It’s unimaginable,” said TT Pro League CEO Dexter Skeene. “This is like a bad dream. I can’t believe this has happened. He (Kevon Carter) is like one of our family, we know him personally here at the office of the league.

“We are deeply… deeply saddened. He was such a polite and humble individual every time I interacted with him.

“Condolences to his family, the Defence Force family and the Pro League family on behalf of the league and members.”

Carter and his teammates had only returned to training two weeks ago, coming off a month-and-a-half-long self-imposed suspension from all sporting activities, handed down by the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force.

“It’s a really sad blow and a total shock,” said a member of the Defence Force football team who missed the training session and only learned of the unfortunate incident via a telephone call.

“I was told that he walked off the session complaining of a chest pain and started vomiting. He also had a fever.

“They took him to the headquarters because we have a doctor there. Details were sketchy but I think they took him to the St. James hospital after.” 

This month Carter had featured for the Defence Force in a 2-0 defeat against Central FC, a 3-0 win over St. Ann’s Rangers and Tuesday’s 1-1 draw against North East Stars.

But according his teammate, Carter had complained of chest pains in the past and tests were done, but revealed no abnormalities.

On Friday morning, the defending Digicel Pro League champions, members of the football fraternity and the general public were left shocked at the sudden passing of the powerfully built and speedy winger.

“This is something unbelievable to all of us right now,” said close friend and teammate Devorn Jorsling according to a press release by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association.

“One minute Kevon was right there with us and then we’re hearing he didn’t make it.

“He went to the side and our medics attended to him and then he was rushed to the Cocorite Hospital,” continued Jorsling. “Then we got the news that he passed (away).

“This a massive shock for all of us but also devastating to see one of your brothers go and will not return to be with us.”

The Defence Force professional football team, still not fully recovered since the murder of 34-year-old footballer and army Lance Corporal Rawle Fletcher on December 22, is now left to mourn the loss of another friend, soldier and teammate.

Carter, who in October 2010 had suffered a broken leg that saw him sidelined for nearly a year, made 31 appearances for the National team.

On December 30 T&T and the entire football fraternity, even in Hungary, also mourned the loss of a former national Senior Team teammate of Carter, Akeem Adams.

Adams, 22 at the time of passing, had suffered a massive heart attack in Hungary following a training session with his club Ferencváros TC on September 25, and after three months of battling to stay alive and four live-saving surgeries in Budapest, died two days after suffering a severe stroke on December 28.

Skeene admitted that the league has to aggressively deal with this situation what has happened over the past few months, and take the initiative to protect our players, sons, fathers and family.