Wed, May


Along with fallen comrades Fletcher, Carter

TOMORROW marks a year since Trinidad and Tobago national footballer Akeem Adams sadly passed away, following complications suffered following a massive heart attack.

There was an outpouring of sorrow, both in Hungary and here in his native Trinidad and Tobago, following Adams’ death. He was described as a gentle giant, a very quiet person. 

Adams’ death followed that of 34-year-old Defence Force footballer Lance Corporal Rawle Fletcher, who was murdered on December 23, 2013, and just a couple months later, on February 28, 2014, T&T international Kevon Carter, 30, succumbed to a heart-attack when training with the Defence Force football squad.

At age 22, Adams had already accomplished a lot and seemed destined for a bright future. A young talent, Adams was a youth national of the Trinidad and Tobago under-17 team, participating in the 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup, and the under-20 squad at the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup. 

Spotted by T&T’s Colombia-born senior national men team’s head-coach Francisco Maturana, Adams made his full senior team international debut in March 2008 at age 16, in a 1-0 victory against El Salvador. 

After beginning his professional career in the local Pro League with W Connection, T&TEC and Central FC, he moved to Hungary in the summer of 2013, when signing with top Hungarian club Ferencvárosi.

Born April 13, 1991, Point Fortin footballer Adams died in a heart clinic in Budapest, Hungary. Mere days earlier, he seemed on the mend, following a series of heart related complications. 

Adams initially suffered a heart attack at his Budapest apartment on September 25, 2013, after returning from a training session with his club. His left leg had to be amputated on October 8 in a life-saving surgery. 

His doctor stated that his body wasn’t ready for a heart transplant, at that time, though that would be subsequently necessary to keep him alive. And at one point an artificial heart was implanted. 

Adams’ health challenge after the heart attack sparked an outpouring of love in Hungary, where many donated blood, and funds was raised to facilitate his recuperation. The club also flew his mother Ancilla and brother Akini Adams to be at his side in Hungary. 

Adams began to respond and seemed on the road to recover; he was even started text messaging friends when, on December 28, 2013, he suffered a massive stroke at the Városmajori Heart Clinic and fell into a coma. He died in Budapest two days later.